Discuss Lighting circuit taken off ring main somewhere in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ross1

-
Reaction score
evening guys, ive come across lighting in one room of domestic premises that has been supplied from the ring main at some point. the cable coming from the ring is 1,5mm which goes through the switch then on to the 2 x 12V down lights. This is on an EICR I`m doing. There is no chance at all of accessing under the floor boards as there is very expensive oak flooring down every where. I believe that from memory you can use a switched fused spur for functional switching. I could then put in a 5A fuse and the load side of the cable will be protected. My concern though is the piece of 1,5mm from ring to switch? your thoughts on this would be welcome. I see this as no different to taking a spur off the ring for an extra socket etc, or am I forgetting some thing?

yes nothing wrong with spurring down lighting circuit of ring main. ( bad circuit design). But that 1.5mm cable needs to be replaced to 2.5mm to feed side of spur

I agree with what you are saying Dave, its for sure bad practice but from a technical point of view that 1,5mm supply to fused spur is inaccessible so no chance of to many amps being pulled through it.

what about when you spur of the ring to an additional point as allowed. that 2.5mm is also under rated for the 32A MCB.

Take your point but its being feed by 2cable's ie lets say half the load between 2 cables.

David...
whats the minimum CSA for FCU feeds?
and given that the largest fuse to BS1362 (13A) is under the max CCC of a 1.5/1.0 flat twin....
the fuse will dictate Max demand here so...

Yes Glen I take your point that FCU aint gonnar pull more than 13amp tops (max) or min 1amp depending what size fuse you put in so yes it will dictate max demand.But its just bad practice to have that size cable.

Yes Glen I take your point that FCU aint gonnar pull more than 13amp tops (max) or min 1amp depending what size fuse you put in so yes it will dictate max demand.But its just bad practice to have that size cable.
David...
you need to rethink statements like this ...as they are misleading to the pups in here...

Because its not the way we usually do it does not make it bad practice.
As stated above the FCU protects the 1.5 against overload. The MCB will still give adequate fault protection (Zs being correct of course!)

Could you not fit a fcu with 5a fuse in it next to the socket the 1.5mm is coming from and put the 1.5mm on the load side and a bit of 2.5mm between the socket and fcu next to it.

Could you not fit a fcu with 5a fuse in it next to the socket the 1.5mm is coming from and put the 1.5mm on the load side and a bit of 2.5mm between the socket and fcu next to it.

because it's probably joined into an inaccessible Jb under the oak floor. i'd just bung in an unswitched FCU with a 3A (or 5A) fuse before the light switch.

Reply to Lighting circuit taken off ring main somewhere in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock