Discuss Lighting circuit with 2A & 5A sockets in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

So, 1970 ish flat, 16ed board fitted in 2007, MCB covering lighting circuit. Lighting circuit has 4 x 2A/5A sockets on it.

Should they be covered by RCD/RCBO?

My feeling is no and code it C3, with a recommendation to upgrade MCB to RCBO?

Thoughts please chaps.

I would have thought no as it was done in line with the regulations at that time. I take it it's not tt and its only lighting plugs that can fit in the sockets?

I would have thought no as it was done in line with the regulations at that time. I take it it's not tt and its only lighting plugs that can fit in the sockets?

It is only 2A or 5A plugs that fit in the sockets, which in a domestic environment will only be lighting. In other environments it could be any number of things on such plugs, not just lighting.

Yes they should be....411.3.3. But if they complied at the time of installation and are not likely to supply equipment outdoors....(clearly not) then code 3.
If you lablel them as specifically for table lamps then no code at all IMO 411.3.3 (b)

Recently I got called out to a similar install with 13a sockets instead of 2/5a's. During a dinner party they'd plugged in a 2kw fan heater....untill someone noticed the dimmer switch was on fire!

Usually on the either/or type codes I look at the rest of it as a whole, if it is all spot on other than being to the earlier edition I tend to be a bit more generous and code more leniently, OTHO hand if it is a pile of poo with other C2s then I code more harshly.

I would code the lack of RCD additional protection for the sockets as C3. I have only ever once issued a C2 for this issue in fact.
However if there is a 13A outlet in place of a 5A outlet (I think this is the case here) on this lighting circuit, then it must be a C2 surely due to the lack of co-ordination between potential current draw and rating of accessories such as light switches. The dangers are pointed out ably by wirepuller's example in post #5.

I would code the lack of RCD additional protection for the sockets as C3. I have only ever once issued a C2 for this issue in fact.
However if there is a 13A outlet in place of a 5A outlet (I think this is the case here) on this lighting circuit, then it must be a C2 surely due to the lack of co-ordination between potential current draw and rating of accessories such as light switches. The dangers are pointed out ably by wirepuller's example in post #5.

Yup - I didn't really mention that on the EICR as the client commented about a problem and wanted it fixing!

Seriously ? If having a socket which only the lamps can be plugged in to and is controlled by a lightswitch isn't enough what the hell difference is a label going to make?

Sorry, silly assumption really. I still stand by my point though that are not general use sockets and being a completely different size and shape plug counts as being restricted to a specific load.

I understand where you are coming from but the question is about codeing for lack of RCD protection to a socket outlet. I'll refer you to the reg I quoted which makes no distinction on socket type....only that the rating is 20a or less. Which means that in order not to code a 2/5a socket must either have rcd protection,or be specifically labelled. You are assuming that DIY dave will know that a 2/5a socket is only for a table lamp,thats an assumption too far.

IMO , these sockets still supply hand held or portable equipment so should be RCD protected , regardless of previous regs..........

At least it complies with the ratio of colours for a bi-coloured protective conductor! :smilielol5::mickey::cowboy:

I suppose if you're colour blind brown and blue might appear as green and yellow ......

The guy may be on to a nice earner with that invention....LOL.....:hammer:

Reply to Lighting circuit with 2A & 5A sockets in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net