Discuss Lighting circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
I need a bit of help. Could anyone tell me how to wire a light circuit with 3 switches and 3 lights. All 3 switches to control all 3 lights which is not a problem. Then switch 2 (2gang) to control only light 2, and switch 3 (2 gang) to control only light 3? I can not figure it out?

Your profile lists you as a qualified and practicing electrician.
Is this correct?

Yes mate,whats your point?
I believe James is angling at a practicing sparky should know how to do it but we all struggle with things from time to time.

Throw up your attempt, highlight what isn't working and go from there. I'll be honest I can do 3 switches 3 lights easily enough but I'm not sure I would know how to add extrA functions, I'd probably start with power at the switch

Ok,thanks,
I have 3 way switch and 3 light points. All 3 (switch one 1 gang ,2 - 2gang and 3& 2 gang) switches control all 3 lights, so far easy enough. But then switch 2 is supposed to control light 2 individually,(that's why it's 2 gang, one controls all 3 lights,one controls only light 2) and switch 3 to control light 3 individually,( same as switch 2,it's 2 gang) hence them being 2 gang switches. Switch 1 is one gang because it controls all 3 lights simultaneously.
I'm on the edge to conclude that's not possible with standard wiring.
Thanks again

Not intended to offend, just the wording of the original qestion made me wonder if you were diy.
If that was the case, I might have given different advice or worded it differently.

Are you intending to loop at the rose or the switch?
Is this a new circuit or an addition to existing?
What protective devices are on the circuit?

I can't see how this can be done with conventional wiring unless I haven't thought it through enough. The fact one switch controls them all it inevitable the other switches will do the same. You need some kind of control to prevent the individual switching also switching them all.

Yes that's what I thought , I have as going through this for half an hour and couldn't figure it out so just wanted to double check in case I'm stupid or missing something and there's someone more experienced in this.

It will be a new circuit, looped at the switch on 6a, 'a' rcbo

Thanks

this is remarkabley similar to a thread posted this morning.

is it the same job?

draw it out.
Youve got a 3 way circuit, 2 x 2 ways and an intermediate.
A 2 way circuit, just 2 x 2 ways
and a single 1 way
Youll have common lives possibly at more than one position... youll also have switchwires which may be coming from more than one switch position and will also need commoned.

If youve only got 3 switch positions.... why have the same lights controlled from one place, that cant be switched off from somewhere else? At some point someone will turn on the individual light, and it cant turn off until they return to that same switch

couldthis be achieved using Quinetic? I've not done any work with them, so I don't know their full capabilities. ( where's my Dunce's hat).

Reply to Lighting circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net