Discuss Lighting circuits and possible cross-over in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello.
I have a possible issue with the lighting circuits in my house.
There are two lighting CCTs:

Dropbox - 01.JPG - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ike2aygjja64pfm/01.JPG?dl=0

1 LIGHTS supplies:
Lounge
Kitchen
Downstairs toilet

2 LIGHTS spplies:
Hall
Upstairs landing
Upstairs bedroom
Upstairs spare room
Upstairs bathroom

In the hall, there is a doble switch, one controlling the upstairs landing light, and the other controlling the hall light.

Dropbox - 02.JPG - https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cech5ldpcaj8ky/02.JPG?dl=0

here's where I'm confused, but there's nothing new there.

With 1 LIGHTS CB tripped, and 2 LIGHTS CB still on, all lighting on 1 LIGHTS can still be powered on by operating the downstairs LANDING light switch.

and...

With 2 LIGHTS CB tripped, and 1 LIGHTS CB still on, the upstairs landing light can be operated with the downstairs landing light switch.

and...

upstairs landing, bedroom, spare room and bathroom lights can be operated with the downstairs or upstairs landing light switch.

I am not convinced that this is normal, even though my wife assures me that the "electrician" who did the installation some years ago said it was all above board and legal.

Any input on the matter?

Thanks,
Gary

Hello.
I have a possible issue with the lighting circuits in my house.
There are two lighting CCTs:

Dropbox - 01.JPG - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ike2aygjja64pfm/01.JPG?dl=0

1 LIGHTS supplies:
Lounge
Kitchen
Downstairs toilet

2 LIGHTS spplies:
Hall
Upstairs landing
Upstairs bedroom
Upstairs spare room
Upstairs bathroom

In the hall, there is a doble switch, one controlling the upstairs landing light, and the other controlling the hall light.

Dropbox - 02.JPG - https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cech5ldpcaj8ky/02.JPG?dl=0

here's where I'm confused, but there's nothing new there.

With 1 LIGHTS CB tripped, and 2 LIGHTS CB still on, all lighting on 1 LIGHTS can still be powered on by operating the downstairs LANDING light switch.

and...

With 2 LIGHTS CB tripped, and 1 LIGHTS CB still on, the upstairs landing light can be operated with the downstairs landing light switch.

and...

upstairs landing, bedroom, spare room and bathroom lights can be operated with the downstairs or upstairs landing light switch.

I am not convinced that this is normal, even though my wife assures me that the "electrician" who did the installation some years ago said it was all above board and legal.

Any input on the matter?

Thanks,
Gary
Whereabouts in the UK are you situated?

Am in Peterborough.
I’m not sure how long it’s been like this, I only discovered it recently by chance when I changed a lightswitch like for like. And yes I got the wires in the correct holes :)

Are you saying with either circuit breaker off, not both all lights still function.

Am in Peterborough.
I’m not sure how long it’s been like this, I only discovered it recently by chance when I changed a lightswitch like for like. And yes I got the wires in the correct holes :)
Post Code?

But the landing switches need to be in a certain switching position for this to happen?

They are interconnected then possibly at the switches.

shared neutrals????.

There is no tripping issue, as neither CB’s have tripped at all.
It’s only when either one CB is off and the other is on.
So Westward wins the toaster
Will keep you updated...

so do i win the kettle?

Will keep you updated...
Gary haveyou read my PM of an offer to come and take a look at your problem? if you don't want any help please at least let me know.

Will keep you updated...
Gary haveyou read my PM of an offer to come and take a look at your problem? if you don't want any help please at least let me know.
Whereabouts in the UK are you situated?
It was part of an offer to help, jim_e_ jib so why the dumb post?

Reply to Lighting circuits and possible cross-over in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net