Discuss Lighting Circular 3-Pin Socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

JJH465

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for some advice on a lighting circuit. I have recently moved into a new build flat which seems to have some 3 pin circular sockets - which I assume to be part of the lighting circuit for plugging lamps into etc. I understand that these can be switched on and off from a light switch (of which we have one that currently does nothing so I assume it is for these sockets).

I am wanting to plug Christmas tree lights into this socket so that I can turn them on and off using the main light switch. My lights are LED but they seem to have a transformer on so I cant just replace the plug with a 3-pin one. Can I just buy and extension lead and change the plug on that to a 3 pin one (obviously making sure that nothing other than the lights is plugged into it) ?

Thanks

You could make an extension lead if you have the correct plug. It is likely to be 2 or 5A, can you show a pic.

Well you will fit the round pin plug to an extension lead.

I haven't bought either yet, I was going to get:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/masterplug-13a-4-gang-unswitched-extension-lead-1m/8935g

and
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/5a-unfused-round-pin-plug-white/22877

If that flex is 1.25 or 1.5 you may struggle to get it into a 5A plug. May be a better idea to buy in separate parts, 5A plug, extension lead end and some 1.0mm three-core flex. Many places sell flex by the metre.

Reactions: DPG
If you’re running a 4 gang extension lead for xmas deco’s, be aware it’s off the lighting circuit, so you’ll only have 5 or 6 amps (normally) available, rather than 13A if you were to leave the 13A plug on the lead and use a regular socket.

Will be fine for deco’s, but don’t try and plug a Hoover into that lead.

Reply to Lighting Circular 3-Pin Socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net