Discuss Lighting connection, socket outlet? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jm1980

-
Reaction score
Working on an industrial radial lighting circuit, 6 son high bay fittings each connected from a conduit box via a short length of flex from the main circuit (terminal strip inside conduit box).

Problem they are getting is whenever a fitting goes faulty it takes the entire circuit out. Ideal scenario as ive done before is to install this type of circuit with a socket outlet for connection of the fittings only which means the plug fuse offers protection to individual fittings and they are also easily taken down. Cannot rewire this circuit so considered putting a rubber 'extension' socket on the ends of the flex from the conduit boxes to allow the same setup.

However the instructions on these state they must not be connected to the mains supply under any circumstances and looking at 559.5.1 (17th as not got my 18th to hand) it states socket outlets to BS1363-2 allowed but the 'extension' ends are BS1363/A.

Looking at this reg and the manufacturers instructions it would seem this easy fix isnt allowed and a much more indepth rewire required. Anybody know if BS1363/A falls under BS1363? or can suggest another idea?

Thanks

could you use a 4 pole click connector. inside the click plug, fit a fuse , so the L goes in what would usually be perm L and a fuse from there to the L feeding the light.

As an easy solution I would tend to put a local fuse in the conduit box so that you only need to add another terminal and fuse holder to the box, if there is enough room.
However a plug and socket arrangement should be OK.
The instruction that the lights not be connected to the mains supply is somewhat strange, presumably they mean not directly connected without control gear?

Sorry Richard, i mean the BS1363/A trailing socket (see link) cant be connected to the mains supply according to instructions. Yet regs allow a normal 1363-2 socket outlet to be used in wiring stystems to connect lights to.

There is no room in the steel conduit boxes to fit a fuse, its not the type that really accepts terminals, its just a conduit junction with a hole in the lid where a short flex comes out of that runs to each light. The idea was the trailing socket on the end of these flex's.

The 4 pole click connector with fuse just seems a long way around when there's a simple solution.

Hi - I don’t know about /A, but I think your outlet should be covered in BS1363-2, switched and unswitched outlets. If so, that’s still fine in 18th Ed 559.5.1(v).

Sorry Richard, i mean the BS1363/A trailing socket (see link) cant be connected to the mains supply according to instructions. Yet regs allow a normal 1363-2 socket outlet to be used in wiring stystems to connect lights to.

There is no room in the steel conduit boxes to fit a fuse, its not the type that really accepts terminals, its just a conduit junction with a hole in the lid where a short flex comes out of that runs to each light. The idea was the trailing socket on the end of these flex's.

The 4 pole click connector with fuse just seems a long way around when there's a simple solution.
how big a job is it to fit click connectors and just add a inline fuse? i thought that would be an ideal solution. fused and detachable.

I think the manufactures mean they don't want it hard wired. They want it used as an extension, ie. Plugged in, so their equipment is protected by the fuse in the plug. So it seems like a judgement call on your part, taking into consideration what rating your ocpd is.

Maybe screw a regular 13A metalclad socket to the BESA box in place of the lid?

As an easy solution I would tend to put a local fuse in the conduit box so that you only need to add another terminal and fuse holder to the box, if there is enough room.
However a plug and socket arrangement should be OK.
The instruction that the lights not be connected to the mains supply is somewhat strange, presumably they mean not directly connected without control gear?
Going on Richard Burns solution above I assume that some sort of local fusing/protective device is needed so that if one on the fittings go faulty this operates leaving the rest of the lights still in use. Maybe installing a 5A 3 pin socket on a conduit box using a fused 5A plug on the flex from each light.

Reply to Lighting connection, socket outlet? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net