Discuss Lighting controls to work with in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello Everyone
I may soon start some jobs that require more advanced lighting controls, there seems to be allot out there like Lutron, RAKO to name a few, so what i want to do is start with a system and expand my working knowledge with them as larger and larger projects come my way.
I essentially want a manufacture that is simple to install and commission which does all the likes of ipad control, blind functions and so on.
With more installer open protocol systems coming onto the market would it be fair to say some of the more sophisticated Lutron and Crestron systems will start to take a back seat?

The only experience that I have with this type of equipment was on some large houses at Ascot we installed the wireless dimmers above the first downlight and in K.O. box of first 5A lighting socket then a sub contractor who worked for a multi audio etc. company came in did rest. The only advice that I can give is try to get yourself on a CPD training day these companies do in the expectation of you installing their products.

About to start a job involving Lutron controls. Its a bit of a dark art to me however it is just a switch at the end of the day. Just saves hard wiring. It is for an art school who want high CRI lighting hard and soft. In a large room 140 sq m. Quite an interesting project I feel. A good idea @anthonybragg getting a day training with Lutron or someone to get into this niche area. As to these names taking a back seat, I don't think so they will evolve with the market forces no doubt. So when people ask for these controls I take it down to basics like what do you want to do with the light. No matter how much sophistication you can turn light on off and dim them and change K values. So not really that complex in truth just smoke and mirrors and money.

I'd stay clear of lightwave rf. It's only 1 way coms, so it can turn it on or off, but has no way of telling you in the app if it is currently on or off.

Try fibaro zwave. Way cheaper than cre$tron or loot-yourbank-ton. It does everything the other home automation products do for a fraction of the price, you don't have to do any expensive courses to learn how to fit/program it, you can retrofit, many reasons more.

Reply to Lighting controls to work with in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock