Discuss Lighting fused down on 16amp radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I've just got to the end of a job in which I installed a 2way RCD protected CCU supplying 1x50a shower circuit and 1x16a radial circuit which consists of a 13a switched fused spur (outside bathroom) for a 2kw bathroom blow heater.
Typically now the job is finished the customer has decided they would like an extractor fan. Now as I wasn't originally making any alterations to the existing lighting circuit I wasn't concerned about the existing light not being rcd protected but now they want the newly requested after thought extractor fan to come on with the bathroom lights.
Would it be acceptable to do away with the existing bathroom light on the old lighting circuit and add a second 3amp fused spur (outside bathroom) on the rcd protected 16amp radial to supply a new bathroom light and extractor fan thus making all electrical alterations in the bathroom RCD protected and 17th edition compliant?

sounds like a good plan. you would also be complying with fusing the fan at 3A as per manufacturers instructions. a perfect solution. only 1 tip. if the 16A radial is in 2.5mm and not derated, up the MCB to 20A.

Surely it would have been better to have replaced the existing CU with a dual 17th CU in the first place, then All the circuits would have been RCD protected!! And for not too much more than installing an additional 2 way RCD CU....

Surely it would have been better to have replaced the existing CU with a dual 17th CU in the first place, then All the circuits would have been RCD protected!! And for not too much more than installing an additional 2 way RCD CU....

apart from a full installation cert would be required for all circuits. Probably could foresee issues with the existing installation and chose to distance himself from it. Or maybe just couldn't be arsed?

apart from a full installation cert would be required for all circuits. Probably could foresee issues with the existing installation and chose to distance himself from it. Or maybe just couldn't be arsed?
well its not about being arsed..or not is it...extra work is...well extra work...and chargeable...

happen it will be a case of not wanting to disturb the existing install....and a customer thinking that they are saving a load of cash as well...(usually a motivator for a load of additional boards dotted about)...

Agreed, going back in time multi cu's all over the place IMO

yeah, but how many have we had customers want new shower circuit but won't stretch to the cost of a C|U replacement. they can show off the shower to the neighbours.

yeah, but how many have we had customers want new shower circuit but won't stretch to the cost of a C|U replacement. they can show off the shower to the neighbours.

Yep, same mentality generally shown when installing a new kitchen, that they will spend literally thousands on, but won't spend an extra £300 or so on replacing the existing old 3026 CU!!
Far more interested in showing off a new kitchen, than any interest in the families safety!!!

Yep, same mentality generally shown when installing a new kitchen, that they will spend literally thousands on, but won't spend an extra £300 or so on replacing the existing old 3026 CU!!
Far more interested in showing off a new kitchen, than any interest in the families safety!!!
and its the same when it comes to their cars etc as well...

the amount of times we have mentioned to customers who wanted some socket outlets adding...or additions to an existing circuit...and we`v had to explain to them that the existing is dangerous and doesn`t conform....they dont want to know...

check out the shiny BMW/mercedes/audi/volvo on the way out...

or even a 3036 CU.....see them quite a bit as well..

Thanx for the replies guys, unfortunately as mentioned not every customer wants to pay for a CCU change, it's hard enough sometimes getting them to cough up to upgrade the earthing. I do find that often the builders that sell there side of the job are often to blame as they don't inform the customers of hidden costs like CCU and earthing upgrades. They promise and price the client for a nice new shiney bathroom with a powerful shower and when you tell the builder that they need to upgrade the CCU, earthing etc you get "ooh I haven't priced for that" and leave you to throw it back to the customer, so sometimes you have to make the best of a bad one without compromising your standards and quality of work.

Reply to Lighting fused down on 16amp radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net