Discuss Lighting help please - rookie here in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

shish90

Hi guys,

First time poster, I'll get straight to the point.

What I have: Single normal on/off switch and I use an energy saver light bulb which has a Bayonet (B22) fitting. Additionally, I also have one of those 'pull cord' switches in the room- this switch, however, will only work if the main switch is ON.

What I want: A dimmer switch with a dimmable light bulb. I have found a suitable dimmer switch (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2MUCJKIGOQH2B) and lightbulb (Philips Master LED 929000248302 B22 12 Watt Dimmable LED Bulb, White: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting).

Questions/Help

1- Will the 'pull cord' switch (http://ballymounthardware.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/MK-Pull-Cord-Switch_large.jpg) get in the way of how the dimmer functions?
2a- The dimmer switch and bulb shown above are very pricey, are there cheaper alternatives?
2b- Cheaper ones I've found mention no minimum wattage for bulbs.
2c- If someone could link me to a suitable dimmer and bulb would be much appreciated.
3a- Are there any 2-way or 4-way splitters available for Bayonet bulb fittings? I've only come across splitters for screw type fittings (E27).
3b- If no, AND IF I still want to use multiple bulbs (to meet the minimum wattage requirement), is the only way to do this to buy a B22 to E27 converter?

Any other help is also hugely appreciated!

Thanks
Shish

i'd say that first, the switching circuit needs to be put right first. then if you want multiple lights, get a decent LED fitting.

Hi guys,

First time poster, I'll get straight to the point.

What I have: Single normal on/off switch and I use an energy saver light bulb which has a Bayonet (B22) fitting. Additionally, I also have one of those 'pull cord' switches in the room- this switch, however, will only work if the main switch is ON.

What I want: A dimmer switch with a dimmable light bulb. I have found a suitable dimmer switch (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2MUCJKIGOQH2B) and lightbulb (Philips Master LED 929000248302 B22 12 Watt Dimmable LED Bulb, White: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting).

Questions/Help

1- Will the 'pull cord' switch (http://ballymounthardware.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/MK-Pull-Cord-Switch_large.jpg) get in the way of how the dimmer functions?
2a- The dimmer switch and bulb shown above are very pricey, are there cheaper alternatives?
2b- Cheaper ones I've found mention no minimum wattage for bulbs.
2c- If someone could link me to a suitable dimmer and bulb would be much appreciated.
3a- Are there any 2-way or 4-way splitters available for Bayonet bulb fittings? I've only come across splitters for screw type fittings (E27).
3b- If no, AND IF I still want to use multiple bulbs (to meet the minimum wattage requirement), is the only way to do this to buy a B22 to E27 converter?

Any other help is also hugely appreciated!

Thanks
Shish

My 10p's worth
1) other than being a nuisance, very unlikely. If it 'works' with the low energy lamp it should work with the LED.
2a) Yes, it is usually always possible to find something cheaper and the price of LED lighting is still falling. it depends on how much effort you are prepared to put into searching.
2b) Most dimmer switches have a minimum rating. They need this to work. It is worth checking this out.
3a) A bayonet 'splitter' is not a standard item. They hark back to the days when an electric iron used to be powered from a light fitting. I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to recall that 2 pin mains plugs in the UK should now be polarised i.e. they must be made so that it is impossible to insert them the wrong way round unless the appliance is intended to be supplied from an isolating transformer. e.g. A bathroom shaver socket. As it is not possible to achieve this with a B22 or B15 fitting a 'Y' adaptor which is a plug and 2 sockets would not be compliant. The polarity cannot be reversed in an E27 fitting and therefore a splitter may well be compliant, if not unusual. Amazon do not quote any compliance details for the item so I am tempted to say they are non-compliant, but I could not substantiate this without doing a lot of research. Your guess is as good as mine. If you do get one I suggest that you check it's origin and examine the BS numbers and symbols that should be stamped into the moulding of it. If it has none then is is not approved for use in the UK. This does not mean it is illegal to sell one in the UK.
3b) IMHO the BC to ES converter is both non-approved and dangerous to use as it is possible to get the ES holder in the wrong polarity leaving the screw potentially live and exposed to touch. I wouldn't even have one in my house let alone use one.
Amazon is not a UK business paying UK corporation tax so they're unlikely to care if they are selling products that are non-approved or unsafe here.

Other points.
a) The dimmer switch requires a 25mm back box. It may not fit in the 15mm back box you probably have behind the existing switch.
b) Dimming domestic LED lamps is fairly recent technology and to my knowledge there are at least 3 completely different ways commonly used in achieving this. To avoid disappointment I would check with the suppliers that the switch is compatible with the lamps you intend to use. I am certainly not saying there is anything wrong with the varilight dimmer however, I cannot imagine any domestic environment where it would be necessary to dim 400 watts of LED lighting. That is the equivalent of over 40 standard light bulbs on one dimmer switch. More than every light in a standard house. So something about the specification would seem to be unusual.

400watts of LEDs? what's he lighting up, heathrow runways?

Reply to Lighting help please - rookie here in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock