Discuss Lighting intermittent issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Please forgive also posted on another site

i wonder if anyone can help with intermittent tripping problem

Distribution board 20amp MCB feeds a 20amp contactor to the outside sensor for external lights and bollards lights. Another small consumer unit wired in a way from the disi board and the contactor when the sensor turns the lights on the then gives power to the small consumer unit (hope this makes sense). Small consumer unit has 3 RCBOs for outside lights

the 20amp MCB in the the distribution board randomly trips ie about every hour.

the building is new about 3 years old and nothing changed. My understanding if a MCB trips its either a short or overload. Overload?? why as it just started happening. I dont think its weather related than the RCBOs would trip. Could it be the sensor or the contactor?

Any advice would be appreciated. Any further questions please ask

Hi Sid - yes the theory is an mcb trip will be down to excessive current. Do the lights still work at all? It would be interesting to know if the trip is related to the contactor operating. Perhaps turn off the sub board and see if there are any further trips when the sensor triggers the contactor.

How many amps of lighting load is it supplying?
Is the MCB hot when it trips?
Does it trip with the downstream RCBOs off?
What are the insulation resistances of the submain to the small CU and the final circuits to the lighting?

If there was always a borderline overload on the 20A MCB, once it has tripped the first time it may be more likely to trip again and again, but as it's only borderline it takes an hour to heat up.

It really is a process of inspecting and testing what the submain is supplying.

Previous posts highlight other things I would also be looking at.

if the 20A MCB is tripping at 6A it's bin time, unless you have an intermittent short circuit, and the trip occurs before it registers on the clamp meter.

I have tried a different 20amp breaker and still trips
What would cause a intermittant short??
Would ingress cause 20amp breaker to trip??

This breaker is for all ouside lighting ,bollards, lamposts and wall lights all on 1 sensor. Some 2 bollards damaged ie cars reversed in to them etc
Trying to locate the orginal electrician so he he cn shed some light where the junction boxes and joints are
[automerge]1582739359[/automerge]
This breaker is for all ouside lighting ,bollards, lamposts and wall lights all on 1 sensor. Some 2 bollards damaged ie cars reversed in to them etc
Trying to locate the orginal electrician so he he cn shed some light where the junction boxes and joints are

Reply to Lighting intermittent issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock