Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss lighting issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

llywelyn111

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,

We have installed some wall lights, the touch ones with three settings. We have a issue that they keep coming on randomly. Even when nobody is in the house they come on when they come home. It's on a TT system, could it be a appliance in a cycle? Small spike in voltage? or a ghost? The lights have been replaced once. Anyone come across this before?

Aico 3000 Range
It's ghosts, run away before you need an exorcism

NOOOOOO! don't go to bed!
That's when they'll get you

M

Moses

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Definitely ghosts....
and its Friday the 13th!!!!!!

topquark

-
Mentor
Arms
Are you sure they're properly earthed?

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
if you miss those days, try the amish community. they still won't use electrickery or automobiles

NOOOOOO! don't go to bed!
That's when they'll get you
As long as you have a cover over you in bed, nothing can get you :)

And remember to snuggle down deep so your head is covered. No monster or ghosty will get through your duvet.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
anyway, iv'e got the answer to the problem. it's ethernet. all those strange cyber waves in the atmosphere of the room switching the lights on.

M

Moses

Hi,

We have installed some wall lights, the touch ones with three settings. We have a issue that they keep coming on randomly. Even when nobody is in the house they come on when they come home. It's on a TT system, could it be a appliance in a cycle? Small spike in voltage? or a ghost? The lights have been replaced once. Anyone come across this before?
Firstly, You need to ensure that you have a good earth, so that the fitting can not pickup stray RFI signals.

As its a TT system, the ZS at the fitting will be in the region of 10-200 ohms, and not fraction of ohms.

The control electronics is being triggered by radiated RFI or conducted RFI.

If that's the case then the control electronics in the fittings are a bad design.

If the interference is conducted type then You will need to fit some type of HF filter,
in-line with the fitting supply, or convert to TN-C-S.

If its the radiated RFI, then you can not do much but to replace the fittings with a different make.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Moses

as long as the cover is young and fit.......
I'm confused, tel

what sort of cover you talking about man?

Pls can you spell it out?

K

KFH

I have a table lamp with inbuilt touch sensitive switching/dimmer. It comes on every time the computer is turned on and every time the scanner is used, they are in the same room. Earthing is good (PME). I have got used to turning it off, one two or three taps depending on how bright it is. I have always assumed it is transients much harder to get rid off than ghosts. One day I will get around to turning it off at the socket.

Why put off until tomorrow what you can put off 'till next week.

M

Moses

I think he means that it shouldn't be too old, and be fit for purpose. Perfectly reasonable.
In the current climate of austerity, i can't afford to change my old cover, I may never be able to!!!

How often does tel get a new bed-cover for himself? and how can he afford it??

L

llywelyn111

serves him right for fitting wall lights. these went out with the demise of gas lighting.
They wanted them in their bedrooms. The fittings are actually quite nice.

The weird thing that they don't come on in pairs. Just randomly.

M

MarkieSparkie

Touch switches that replace ordinary plate switches rarely use a neutral connection. As a consequence the electronics is often prone to false triggering by mains bourne transients or strong radiated RFI. There are a couple of things you can do to minimise this effect:- 1) Ensure the CPC is connected to the metal back-box. 2) Connect a mains rated CR (typically 0.1uF in series with 100Ω) snubber across the switch terminals. If the touch switch is currently mounted in a plastic cavity wall box, try changing the standard plastic box for the less common foil lined or metal type which has a CPC termination connected to the foil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Reply to lighting issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Top Bottom