Discuss Lighting MCB keeps tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just after a bit of advice.

Just got home on Christmas Eve, went to put the lights on as you do, then there was a "pop" from the MCB.

Usually when this happens one of the halogen bulbs in the bathroom has gone and needs replacing. Usually resetting the MCB, identifying the blown bulb and replacing does this trick.

This time, the MCB trips straight away. Won't reset at all.

We've been through the house, checked all lights are off. Still won't reset.

We did find an old filament bulb that had gone, so we've taken that out and replaced it, but still the MCB won't reset.

Anyone have any ideas we could try?

The rest of the MCB is fine, we have power to sockets, cooker, etc. Just the lighting affected.

Trying to call local electricians at this time on Christmas Eve isn't going too well.

Thanks for the repliess so far, I don't know if it makes any difference, but a little bit more info...

The bathroom has 4x individual GU10 halogen bulb downlighters across the ceiling.
The kitchen has 3x GU10 bulbs in a single ceiling unit.

The rest of the house has energy saving bulbs.

All light switches are set to off, but MCB trips straight away with a "pop".

if it is the MCB damaged, which seems logical, I'll wait until an electrician wakes up on Boxing Day.

Thanks for your quick replies.

Hi all.

Just after a bit of advice.

Just got home on Christmas Eve, went to put the lights on as you do, then there was a "pop" from the MCB.

Usually when this happens one of the halogen bulbs in the bathroom has gone and needs replacing. Usually resetting the MCB, identifying the blown bulb and replacing does this trick.

This time, the MCB trips straight away. Won't reset at all.

We've been through the house, checked all lights are off. Still won't reset.

We did find an old filament bulb that had gone, so we've taken that out and replaced it, but still the MCB won't reset.

Anyone have any ideas we could try?

The rest of the MCB is fine, we have power to sockets, cooker, etc. Just the lighting affected.

Trying to call local electricians at this time on Christmas Eve isn't going too well.
Switch all the lighting switches to the off position, reset the MCB and gradually switch the lights back on until the MCB trips, if it does there is your problem circuit.

As the MCB is tripping it means you have a short circuit somewhere.

You mention GU10 fittings, I would probably start looking at those fittings for signs of overheating, not the first time a GU10 has been covered in insulation and has melted the wiring PVC.

Replying to a few questions in one here...

All lights switches are in the off position. When reset the MCB trips with a pop straight away.

I've just replaced all 4x GU10s in the bathroom with new ones and the same thing happens. (They are operated by a rocker switch outside of the bathroom).

We don't have any outside lights.

I've taken out and left out thr 4x GU10s in the bathroom. Reset the MCB - it doesn't trip this time, but there are no lights in any of the rooms still.

I've taken out and left out thr 4x GU10s in the bathroom. Reset the MCB - it doesn't trip this time, but there are no lights in any of the rooms still.
If I've understood correctly you now have the light mcb staying on? But no lights in the bathroom. What happens if you turn on any light switches (even the bathroom light switch) ?

If I've understood correctly you now have the light mcb staying on? But no lights in the bathroom. What happens if you turn on any light switches (even the bathroom light switch) ?

Absolutely nothing. mCB is in on position, but no lights in any room

Just noticed there is a tiny little red/green indicator on the MCB.

With all of the others in the ON position the indicator is red.

Now the lighting MCB is in on position, the indicator is green/white

Apologies if it isn't very clear, just point and hoping for the best ...

IMG-20181224-193348421.jpg

Reply to Lighting MCB keeps tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net