Discuss Lighting on a farm - just want to see what people think... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

J@mes

Hi, this is my first post, so be gentle!

I have 2381 and 2391, but this kind of work is not normal for me (I deal with 25KV equipment mainly), so I just want a bit of advice really!

I have some lights to put up in a grain store, and want to do the follwing:

• A 60A MCB from the main 3PN board which is in a room off the grain store
  • 10mm SWA in to the grain store
  • 4 way SPN CU in the grain store
  • 1 32A MCB for the lighting - 10 400W SON lamps (16.6A)
  • 1 20A MCB for a pair of socket outlets
  • 1 6A MCB for ouside 400W SON floodlight
  • 1 Spare way.
Internal lamps to be wired with 2.5mm 3core SWA through a switchfuse - is 20A enough bearing in mind the start up draw of the SON Lamps?

Sockets also on 2.5mm 3core SWA

Outside lamp to be on 1.5mm 3core SWA

wire rope to be fitted to the inside of the building in order to provide a catenary for the SWA which will be the length of the building.

So, thoughts, ideas, pointers?

thanks, James

Hi, this is my first post, so be gentle!

I have 2381 and 2391, but this kind of work is not normal for me (I deal with 25KV equipment mainly), so I just want a bit of advice really!

I have some lights to put up in a grain store, and want to do the follwing:

• A 60A MCB from the main 3PN board which is in a room off the grain store
  • 10mm SWA in to the grain store
  • 4 way SPN CU in the grain store
  • 1 32A MCB for the lighting - 10 400W SON lamps (16.6A)
  • 1 20A MCB for a pair of socket outlets
  • 1 6A MCB for ouside 400W SON floodlight
  • 1 Spare way.
Internal lamps to be wired with 2.5mm 3core SWA through a switchfuse - is 20A enough bearing in mind the start up draw of the SON Lamps?

Sockets also on 2.5mm 3core SWA

Outside lamp to be on 1.5mm 3core SWA

wire rope to be fitted to the inside of the building in order to provide a catenary for the SWA which will be the length of the building.

So, thoughts, ideas, pointers?

thanks, James

Hi james,

Not done to much aggricultural myself, but i know there is probably a few things you could change. The 32a mcb for the lighting, knock it down to a 20a type c. Your gonna need some rcd protection on the new cu(fire protection) think its a 300ma and additional rcd protection on the s/o 30ma. I would Up the 10mm to a 16mm for future loading because 10mm only holds a current carrying capacity of 67A clipped direct and 16mm is 89A best to be safe. Oh and make sure all your earthing arrangements are satisfactory. Hope that helps

Indeed.

I think you should give particular attention to Sec 705 of the BRB.

There are a few parts in there that relate to the type of installation you are about to do.

Hi james,

Not done to much aggricultural myself, but i know there is probably a few things you could change. The 32a mcb for the lighting, knock it down to a 20a type c. Your gonna need some rcd protection on the new cu(fire protection) think its a 300ma and additional rcd protection on the s/o 30ma. I would Up the 10mm to a 16mm for future loading because 10mm only holds a current carrying capacity of 67A clipped direct and 16mm is 89A best to be safe. Oh and make sure all your earthing arrangements are satisfactory. Hope that helps

Agree. All socket outlets in agricultural installation must be protected by 30mA RCD. All other circuits must be protected by 300mA RCD.

The other thing I would say is to go overboard on your bonding, anything metal, put a clamp on it.

As Jason said ol red will make things a lot clearer for you.

Cheers.

Thanks lads, but what is the BRB?

Also, what are the requirements for Part P on this installation? I *think* that the farm supply is separate from the farm house supply, and therefore mean that the installation does not need to be inspected by a Part P electrician?

thanks for the pointers :)

Also, what are the requirements for Part P on this installation? I *think* that the farm supply is separate from the farm house supply, and therefore mean that the installation does not need to be inspected by a Part P electrician?

No part p on aggricultural only on domestic.

The BRB is the Big Red Book (bs7671).

If the farm building is supplied from the house then this work will be covered by Part P.

If it has its own supply (meter, fuse, DB) then it is not.

I also agree with the metalwork. If its metal, bond it.

May also want to consider your accessories for mechanical protection and IP ratings for P*** & S*** as these can be corrosive. :eek:

When you say a grain store is the any dust in the air from the grain as if so you maybe looking at explosive proof fittings as grain dust and similar dust can be explosive in the correct amounts of air to dust.

will look in to the dust levels in the building!

Just a quick one, can the 300mA RCD be before the consumer unit? and then have a 30mA one in the board for the sockets?

Hey.

Yeah, I dont see a problem with having a stand alone 300mA RCD in an enclosure before your DB, and then having a 30mA RCD/RCBO protecting your socket outlets.

Cheers:D

thought as much as that is how all our TT systems at work are done, just wanted to make sure it was acceptable elsewhere.

cheers :)

Hi,

I have done a lot of farm buildings in the past, grain stores especially.

Every thing must be explosive proof, avoid fixing swa near beams, or any surface where the cable could be easily accessed, Rats love the sheathing on swa.
ensure all glands are out door (water proof) don,t if at all possible use metal sockets. Treat each socket as a potential risk not the circuit I would use mk rcd sockets or similar. There is regulatation under the farm assured scheme regarding lights and covers in grain stores, all glass (from memory) must be shatter proof and usually entails a coating, if you stick with poly carbon covers you will be ok, try and get spring clip release covers, because as sure as day is night when you get called back and the fitting is ally or pressed steel you will not get the screws out.
There is shed loads of stuff to think of. heat from lamps condensation bla bla bla, the grain store is not a good enviroment to work in, wear gloves at all times, ( rat **** make you very ill) wear a face mask, find out the crops being stored, wheat, barley, oats, huskless oats(there horible to work in) oils seed rape, lots of people are allergic to OSR, linseed, the list goes on and on, But most important, no matter how long you think it will take you I almost gurantee it will be longer harder and sweatier, and you will stick when you get home.
Grain stores are sprayed with pesticide to kill bugs which will destroy a stored crop, don,t and I repeat don,t work in a store for at least 7 days after it has been treated. Oh one last thing, if grain is not trated correctly prior to storage it heats up be very carful about standing on heaps or on grain in silo,s, especially OSR, as a crust could and does form with nothing under it.
Hope this helps.

thanks for the info - having been on the 17th course now and "finding" a BRB it is much easier to see what needs to be done! was made aware of the plastic lamp fittings when speaking to the farmer. Hi-Tuff or flex preferred to the SWA then for the lighting circuit runs?

the spraying issue i was not aware of, and I will be using a teleporter with man basket to do the work.

Using a teleporter, be careful of fumes, using a diesel in a confined space at height don,t mix,plenty of ventilation.

Hi james,

Hi

20A type c mcb for 10 400w sons will that carry the start up surge ?

well. he's had 3 years to see if it works.

Reply to Lighting on a farm - just want to see what people think... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock