Discuss Lighting problem Melted Cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello, Called out to look at lighting problem in a house, found a section of cable in loft looking melted, see photos. Anyone know what's caused the cable to melt, don't think its over loaded as its only got 7 lights on it, doesn't look burnt to me. Was thinking it may have come into contact with chemicals?

Lighting problem Melted Cable IMG_20190206_141646 - EletriciansForums.net

Lighting problem Melted Cable IMG_20190206_141655 - EletriciansForums.net

Lighting problem Melted Cable IMG_20190206_141705 - EletriciansForums.net

I have seen cable cooked in insulation right next to 50W 12V lamps and transformers, but your pic looks too long a run of heat affected area, implying the conductor really was overloaded. Can you confirm the cable insulation now gone hard and brittle? Or has the cable insulation turned soft and soggy?

Yes its from a lighting circuit 1mm T&E cable. It had usual loft insulation over it. I didn't think it was over loaded as its not got black burn marks, it is sort of crispy but is still a little flexible. Looks like two cables melted together, when trying to separate them the plastic sort of tears away from the copper, it is stiff but not crumbly as I would normally expect from a cooked cable.

It’s 1.5 twin melted with some singles some signs of rat activity on some areas

Did the rats have blow torches and solder? Sorry, meant to be funny that.

Has there ever been a loss of neutral on the supply to the property? Working for Dno if there was a three phase system feeding a street for example, and the neutral was lost then this can happen, in fact it is one of the worst problems, as all properties on the circuit have to be disconected and inspected, although with modern 1000 volt cables this shouldn't happen.

Reply to Lighting problem Melted Cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock