Discuss Lighting ring issue in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Recently been to a job to fix a D.I.Y fault on a lighting ring but can't figure ...
So , client rings , outside flood light stays on all day .. there's no switch and she doesn't know where the power comes from .. I find power using a wire tracker .. and it leads to a double switch in the living room , open it up to find ... 3 neutrals in a block .. 2 lives in comm .. and 1 live in L1 ... So all connected to 1 side of switch ... How do I move the outside light to the second side of the switch .. please advise

Hi - not sure I’ve understood correctly, but it sounds like either one switched L is leaving the switch going to all lights - or - the outside light L is one of the 2 L in the Comm. If you’ve got test gear, I’d safely isolate the circuit, take the 2 L out, see which one is permanent L and put that one back in Comm.

difficult to say remotely. need more info. does the light go off when you operate the switch? and a pic. would help. if in doubt, get a local spark in.

Hi - not sure I’ve understood correctly, but it sounds like either one switched L is leaving the switch going to all lights - or - the outside light L is one of the 2 L in the Comm. If you’ve got test gear, I’d safely isolate the circuit, take the 2 L out, see which one is permanent L and put that one back in Comm.
Yes can test in the morning .. will report back ..thanks for your help .. hope it works
[automerge]1573333093[/automerge]
Is it a sensor light.
Yes it's a PIR

Last edited:
Recently been to a job to fix a D.I.Y fault on a lighting ring but can't figure ...
So , client rings , outside flood light stays on all day .. there's no switch and she doesn't know where the power comes from .. I find power using a wire tracker .. and it leads to a double switch in the living room , open it up to find ... 3 neutrals in a block .. 2 lives in comm .. and 1 live in L1 ... So all connected to 1 side of switch ... How do I move the outside light to the second side of the switch .. please advise
so what you do is split supply cables, find which one carries power, second cable put on COM of 2nd switch and make a jumper from known live on L1 to L1 of 2nd switch. Done

Agree what is a lighting ring?

At risk of stating the obvious, it's a lighting circuit in the form of a ring.

The only experience I have of such a circuit is the outgoing circuits from a 110V central battery system for emergency lighting, they were wired as rings to combat the voltage drop.

Are you assuming they are live from the wire colours? You can't. Electricity does not know what colour the wire is.

What you have is a typical loop in at switch circuit. The 2 wires in COM are live in and live out to next switch. In L1 you have a switched wire to the light. If the light stays on the switch is short circuit. This assumes you have found the right switch.

Are you assuming they are live from the wire colours? You can't. Electricity does not know what colour the wire is.

What you have is a typical loop in at switch circuit. The 2 wires in COM are live in and live out to next switch. In L1 you have a switched wire to the light. If the light stays on the switch is short circuit. This assumes you have found the right switch.

My 2p worth: someone has changed the original outside light for a PIR light, put the switched live in with the permanent live. The PIR has now developed a fault and is permanently on.

He said he was going to report back a week yesterday. He's either a DIYer or maybe an apprentice, without much experience, whose a bit frightened of getting back in touch. Whatever, he shouldn't have been 'finding power using a wire tracker' and needed assistance. I just hope he found some, for his sake and that of his 'client'.
Let us know OP.

Reply to Lighting ring issue in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock