Discuss Lighting Wiring Diagram Check in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I want to know if this wiring diagram makes sense. The circles are lights and the switches are indicated. I want the 4 lights on the left to be controlled by switch 1 and the 6 lights on the right to be controlled by switch 2. The power is indicated and will go to a light first. I am reusing an old circuit with nothing else on it and it is easiest to start where indicated.

rec room lights.png

I notice you're in Newfoundland... as this is a UK forum, it may be a good idea to provide some detail regarding the colour coding applied to your cables... Is black hot or line for example :)

Important: This is a UK forum and our conventions regarding colour codes, wire sizes, terminology etc are all very different to yours. UK electricians may not recognise 14/3 as a type of cable, for example, nor the convention that the hot feed to the switch uses the neutral colour (our convention is the opposite way round, the switched hot to the lamp uses the neutral colour).

But, yes, that will work, apart from that at the second and fourth lamps in the top row, you have forgotten to draw the red cable sending the switched hot towards the lamp to its left.

For more detailed information, I'd recommend posting to a forum your side of the pond. What you call 16/2 Romex we call 1.5mm² T+E so it can get very confusing!

Last edited:
Important: This is a UK forum and our conventions regarding colour codes, wire sizes, terminology etc are all very different to yours. UK electricians may not recognise 14/3 as a type of cable, for example, nor the convention that the hot feed to the switch uses the neutral colour (our convention is the opposite way round, the switched hot to the lamp uses the neutral colour).

But, yes, that will work, apart from that at the second and fourth lamps in the top row, you have forgotten to draw the red cable sending the switched hot towards the lamp to its left.

For more detailed information, I'd recommend posting to a forum your side of the pond. What you call 16/2 Romex we call 1.5mm² T+E so it can get very confusing!
Thank you very much! I was in such a rush to get my question out there I didn't realize this was a UK site. I'll check with a local forum as well. All the best!

Reply to Lighting Wiring Diagram Check in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net