Discuss Lightning circuits?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SamMcGilton

I have recently moved into a 50s semi detached house, with cast iron conduit wiring circuits.
we have decided to fit two feature down lights above the fireplace, and operate them from a double switch that will also service the ceiling rose & fitting.
we have used 2x core from the down lights to the switch (new colours, blue brown & earth) and the existing wires behind the switch are (red red/black and earth) our issue is that the main ceiling rose has power and can switch on and off very well. But when we try hook up the down lights they don't work, the only way I can get all the lights to work is to hook up the live and the neutral in a single switch, in which case one of the lights is always on.

I have tried so far live feed (red) from rose into com1, switch live (red/black) into L1 Earth (yellow/green) to back box. bridge wire (unmarked) from com1 to com2, live (brown) into com2 and neutral (blue) into the other L1. All I get from this set up is a working ceilng rose and no down lights. Test screwdriver indicates live power in both wires at the down lights themselves?

any help will be greatly appreciated

(apologies for the title of the post it should read Lighting circuit)

sam

Last edited:
Lighting circuits? Check grammar, spelling and . . . Post!
If you can, post a few photos of ceiling roses and switch points as this will help enormously and keep post referendum spirits at bay. Honestly !
Regards Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

not sure if I'm reading this correctly ,

If feed is at Pendant , you need the run the T+E down to switch,
Wiring inside the pendant with YOUR cable should be "loop" Neutral and earth,
Inside your switch , you need brown into COM, then bridge across into the other common with some brown cable if possible to power the other switch , and the Neutral in connector strip and earth terminated correctly.
With the cable from each down lighter , you need to put "brown" into L1 and likewise for the other down lighter, L1 for which side of the switch you want. Put the neutrals all together inside the connector strip and tuck away earths into earthing terminal / connector strip.

I assume you have ran a cable down from each down lighter if u want them switched separately ?

Was this what you was asking or did I just assume this is what you were asking lol.

FLASH AHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAH

I just read your post again, realised you want 1 sw for the pendant and 1 sw for the dl's

just read "test screwdriver" too :53: ewwwwwwwwwwwww

flash ahhhhhhhhhahaha

It is not possible to do what you want the way you have wired it. Now is probably a good time to employ an electrician to do the job for you, you clearly lack a very fundamental understanding of how electricity works.

Also don't put a 'test screwdriver' anywhere near anything high is or could be live at mains voltage, they are very dangerous and will give you a nasty electric shock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok thank you all for your response, yes I would like to have two switches one to control both down lights and one to control the ceiling rose. I have no understanding of electricity what so ever and assumed I would be able to do it. (Clearly a mistake) With your advise you have given me I will call a local electrician to do it safely, oh and bin the screwdriver. (I was not aware they where dangerous)
thanks again guys.

Sam

Ok thank you all for your response, yes I would like to have two switches one to control both down lights and one to control the ceiling rose. I have no understanding of electricity what so ever and assumed I would be able to do it. (Clearly a mistake) With your advise you have given me I will call a local electrician to do it safely, oh and bin the screwdriver. (I was not aware they where dangerous)
thanks again guys.

Sam

No worries, and thank you for taking the sensible and mature approach. So many people come here as you did and then have a tantrum when they are told that they are out of their depth.
Most of us, if doing the job now, would be happy to explain to you how a lighting circuit works, and what needs to be done differently to make your attempt work.

If you post up your location there may be a member of the board local to you, or be able to give a good recommendation of who to use.

If you look on YouTube for a guy called John Ward he has done a very good video on why those screwdrivers are dangerous.

No worries, and thank you for taking the sensible and mature approach. So many people come here as you did and then have a tantrum when they are told that they are out of their depth.
Most of us, if doing the job now, would be happy to explain to you how a lighting circuit works, and what needs to be done differently to make your attempt work.

If you post up your location there may be a member of the board local to you, or be able to give a good recommendation of who to use.

If you look on YouTube for a guy called John Ward he has done a very good video on why those screwdrivers are dangerous.
Have you been drinking that cider again davesparks!

Reply to Lightning circuits?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock