Discuss Lightning & Electrical Protection for Outdoor Aluminium Pergola in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

achouhans

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am installing a custom sized (15ft X 17Ft) Aluminium pergola in my backyard on a concrete with tiles.

The Aluminium pergola and kitchen are powered from one of the outlet from the house.
Please note, the pergola has inbuilt lights and will be powered from one of the outlet from the outdoor kitchen.

How can I protect everyone under Pergola from Lightning and Electricity usage in both normal and when Lightning?

Please see links of images to Aluminium Pergola.

Image Link1
Image Link2

Thanks a ton,
AC

Your image links are not working

With regard to lightning protection the last time I looked into something similar ( steel golf course shelters ) it was recommended by a couple of lightning protection companies that for it to work properly and minimise the step potential risk it would need an earth / ground mat installed under the shelter site and extending for a few metres beyond it before starting to install the concrete base, in this case the it was suggested it would be better to do nothing as the erection of the shelters was quite advanced and to install any protection at that stage would not be very effective and probably be more dangerous in the event of a strike for anyone in the shelter at the time of a strike

Reply to Lightning & Electrical Protection for Outdoor Aluminium Pergola in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I am a basic DIY'er, with basic electrical skills, NB, I can change a plug/fuse, change a ceiling light fitting, change a socket face plate...
Replies
Views
The previous owners of our property had non in ground rated electrical hardwired into the basement from an outdoor submerged pond fountain...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm willing to build up a network within my residential house which includes outdoor equipment for WAN access. And I'm failing to figure out...
Replies
Views
Long story short: I had a electrical problem on a circuit that powers our backyard lights and outlets a few months ago that fried the circuit...
Replies
Views
I'm puzzled here. We had an unusually heavy rain this weekend and the power to the outlets in the downstairs southwest quadrant of our house is...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock