Discuss Lights Blinking - 2 Lights on a single switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jamiecook

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm looking for some help- hopefully an easy one.

I have 2 lights on a single switch. The lights are connected back to a 2 gang 2 way switch which has another set of lights that are switched to the 2nd switch.

I've moved the location of one of the 2 lights by extending the cable, which I've used a connector strip to do so. Having moved the light and re-connected both roses, both lights now flash on and off once switched back on. It's almost like both bulbs are competing for power - it becomes almost like a bloody disco. Video enclosed to show what happens.

anyone any ideas on what's up? Idid disconnect and rewire the switch also, incase that may have something to do with it...

Attachments

• IMG_1106.MOV
    65 MB
We're going to need to see pictures of the switch, the ceiling roses and the connector strip.

My gut feeling is you've inadvertently connected the lights in series resulting in them only getting half the expected supply voltage.

The connector strip is not suitable if it's not going to be accessible when the work is completed, if this is the case you need to use a fully enclosed maintenance free junction box.

We're going to need to see pictures of the switch, the ceiling roses and the connector strip.

My gut feeling is you've inadvertently connected the lights in series resulting in them only getting half the expected supply voltage.

The connector strip is not suitable if it's not going to be accessible when the work is completed, if this is the case you need to use a fully enclosed maintenance free junction box.

Thanks for the speedy response! Photos of the switch and both roses enclosed.

The connector strip is a temporary measure, I've got a junction box and choc box - what one would you recommend? (Photos of those enclosed also).

Attachments

• Lights Blinking - 2 Lights on a single switch IMG_1107 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_1107.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Lights Blinking - 2 Lights on a single switch IMG_1109 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_1109.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 21
  • Lights Blinking - 2 Lights on a single switch IMG_1110 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_1110.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Lights Blinking - 2 Lights on a single switch IMG_1111 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_1111.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 21
Where does the second light connect? Because looking at the third picture with the rose with two wires, I would expect to see the cable to the second light in there... it's clearly not.

I would use the top of the two junction boxes on one condition... it must be marked MF (as in Maintenance Free) and should perhaps include a reference to I think BS 5733. My personal preference for such tasks is a Wagobox installed in accordance with the maintenance free instructions included with it.

Where does the second light connect? Because looking at the third picture with the rose with two wires, I would expect to see the cable to the second light in there... it's clearly not.

I would use the top of the two junction boxes on one condition... it must be marked MF (as in Maintenance Free) and should perhaps include a reference to I think BS 5733. My personal preference for such tasks is a Wagobox installed in accordance with the maintenance free instructions included with it.
Is one of the 2 wires on the rose not the second light? This was the way it's been wired since moving in. It was a brand new house, which we bought 2 years ago.

Also may be worth mentioning that when you remove one of the bulbs, the other does not work at all. Likewise if you remove the rose. This stands for either rose or bulb... Any ideas?

If they both go out when you remove one, they are wired in series.

So, if they were working properly before you started and now they aren't, not to put too fine a point on it, you've made a mistake.

Having just had a closer look at the switch, I think you can fix it easily.

The rose with the two cables in it... it's connected incorrectly.

I believe you should put all the browns in the terminal linked to the brown of the lamp holder cord and all the blues in the terminal linked to the blue of the lamp holder cord. It goes without saying, turn the power off when you do this.

And the junction box... it's definitely BS5733 and it should be marked with MF if it can be used as such, and as I say if it's not going to be accessible... maintenance free is a requirement.

If they both go out when you remove one, they are wired in series.

So, if they were working properly before you started and now they aren't, not to put too fine a point on it, you've made a mistake.

Having just had a closer look at the switch, I think you can fix it easily.

The rose with the two cables in it... it's connected incorrectly.

I believe you should put all the browns in the terminal linked to the brown of the lamp holder cord and all the blues in the terminal linked to the blue of the lamp holder cord. It goes without saying, turn the power off when you do this.

And the junction box... it's definitely BS5733 and it should be marked with MF if it can be used as such, and as I say if it's not going to be accessible... maintenance free is a requirement.
Like this? See the pic...

Attachments

• Lights Blinking - 2 Lights on a single switch IMG_1112 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_1112.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 16
I think so yes.

Based on the fact there is a neutral terminal block in the switch, I think the one wire is the L-N feed from the switch and the other is the cable to the other light.

As they are wired right now, the lights are wired in series.... L comes in and is connected to the L to the other light. The N comes back from that light, through the lamp in this rose and then out to N going back to the switch. Meaning they are in series which is why you can take one out and they both go off and if they are both in, they flicker.

I think so yes.

Based on the fact there is a neutral terminal block in the switch, I think the one wire is the L-N feed from the switch and the other is the cable to the other light.

As they are wired right now, the lights are wired in series.... L comes in and is connected to the L to the other light. The N comes back from that light, through the lamp in this rose and then out to N going back to the switch. Meaning they are in series which is why you can take one out and they both go off and if they are both in, they flicker.

It's sorted! Thank you!!!

Funnily enough the diagram I just sent (which worked), was what I done first time around. The light switch blew, so I thought it was due to a mistake in the wiring. Looks like a faulty switch, which had totally thrown me!

Your help is very much appreciated!

Glad you've got it sorted :)

One last thing if you could, please?

I'm now looking at fitting the pendant's. One isn't an issue as it's a single wire coming into the rose, however I have a question re the rose with two wires. The pendant have a rose as in the enclosed photo, where there aren't enough connectors to take 2 cables. How do I go about making this work?

I've enclosed again a photo of the working 2 cable rose and one of the new pendants rose also...

J

Attachments

• Lights Blinking - 2 Lights on a single switch IMG_1149 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_1149.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Lights Blinking - 2 Lights on a single switch IMG_1148 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_1148.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 11

Reply to Lights Blinking - 2 Lights on a single switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock