Discuss lights come on when door opens solution? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
One of my clients has decided he wants this kind of set up, one for a cupboard and one for the garage.
Ive tried steering him towards PIR but he not to keen on them.

Does anybody know of a sleek solution to this problem?
Ive searched on the internets but all of the switches ive found for this would leave a horrible finish

What about a micro switch that operates a relay? That way you can have a relatively small switch with the big one hidden elsewhere. If you use a transformer it’ll also mean you don’t have to have 230v where people might not be expecting it in the future.

or look at a quinetic key fob and receiver.

and first determine whether his lighting is electric or gas. if the latter, then you need to factor in the cost of piezo ignition system.:D.

Sensio Lighting do a good sensor here. You'll then also need to use suitable drivers and fittings. Fitted quite a few of these without any issues at all.

One of my clients has decided he wants this kind of set up, one for a cupboard and one for the garage.
Ive tried steering him towards PIR but he not to keen on them.

Does anybody know of a sleek solution to this problem?
Ive searched on the internets but all of the switches ive found for this would leave a horrible finish
So he only has light in his garage when the door is open?
Some sort of timer needed...... so get it PIR'd.

What about a micro switch that operates a relay? That way you can have a relatively small switch with the big one hidden elsewhere. If you use a transformer it’ll also mean you don’t have to have 230v where people might not be expecting it in the future.

i like the sound of this, could be the one, i'll look into it

i like the sound of this, could be the one, i'll look into it
So he only has light in his garage when the door is open?
Some sort of timer needed...... so get it PIR'd.

i know ive told him, but he's mental

reed switch, latched relay and reset button.
opening door will pull magnet away from reed switch and it will trip the latched relay keeping the lights on even when the door is closed.
reset button will release the relay to turn the lights off.
simple and heavy duty
but you could also use a pir to do these functions without the extra hardware and wiring

Reply to lights come on when door opens solution? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net