Discuss Lightswitch wiring from 4 wires to 2 wires? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I am trying to wire, what I thought was a simple, light switch. The problem is there are a lot of wires from the previous fitting going into a new one.

Can someone help me to sort out wiring for the new switch. I have attached two images one for the old wiring and one for the new one.

https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/2qxRoCN

I can't open the image.
It may need a mod to review it...

Seeing as the OP is a new member, are you lot are eager! , here's the image he tried to link to... (I think Upload the image directly to the thread is not supported with html/bbcode)

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/2qxRoCN.jpg

What switch was in before OP.
If you got like for like then just ensure terminals are correct.
Also ensure your new accessory screw is not long , as that connector block is lined up perfectly to hit it.

I'll try adding images on my own server:

Original

Lightswitch wiring from 4 wires to 2 wires? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

New One I want To Add

totally wrong. original switch is double pole. new one is not compatible.

Ok. You will need a piece of insulated terminal block.
Put the twisted together black cables and the single black together in the terminal block.
Then the twisted reds in the common terminal on the switch. The single red in L1.
Then, and this is important, you must have a length of earth wire from the earth terminal on the switch to the earth wires in the back box.

The most valuable advice I can give is Make sure the switch is right way up because it will look like it's off when it's on and that will proper p**s the misses off.

Yes, why don't you ask then?

But, from the nature of the post from our new friend, the OP, I rather suspect that he will not have any idea why.
Maybe the installer had one spare on the van, or they were cheap on eBay. There's so many possibilities. But do ask him, or do you want my mum to ask for you?

You have it about you tonight TTC!
Want to talk about it?
Yes, why don't you ask then?

But, from the nature of the post from our new friend, the OP, I rather suspect that he will not have any idea why.
Maybe the installer had one spare on the van, or they were cheap on eBay. There's so many possibilities. But do ask him, or do you want my mum to ask for you?

Reply to Lightswitch wiring from 4 wires to 2 wires? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock