Discuss Limit to number of devices on BT Homehub 6 (infinity2)? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
After a lot of t-ing and fro-ing, I got a replacement HH6 from BT as the original was disconnecting devices at random.
I was asked on the phone once about how many devices, and when I listed them, they said that was the problem.
As my wife and I both work from home, with 3 kids, I probably have more than is should, but here goes;- (HW) denote
Smart TV (HW)
Sky+ box (HW)
Xbox one
Nintendo Wii
2 x desktop PC's
3 x Windows laptops
2 x ipad
2 x iPhone
2 x android based smartphones
1 x android tablet (seldom used)
2 x Nintendo 3DS (seldom used)
1 x Raspberry pi
1 x Lightwaverf wifi link (HW)
1 x Networked printer (HW, via powerline adaptor)

I doubt very much that the HH would limit the number of connections.

More than likely BT will have capped it in the firmware to try and keep data traffic down, added to that a router made by the lowest bidder...

I didn't think it would be restricted in any way. I don't think I have an excessive number of devices?
It was just when I had a faulty hub that one of the 'experts' on the phone said that could be a cause.
I liked their recent adverts with Ryan Reynolds hanging from a helicopter.... Long range wifi? even straight upward direction? Don't think so. Not unless hub was lieing on its back.

Sounds like a "get out" excuse (or a get off the phone excuse - if you call back the chance of getting the same Tech. is virtually nil!) as long as you weren't trying to use them all at once there shouldn't be an issue with the number.
I don't know that model but most routers have the whole subnet to assign with their DHCP Sever, 250 odd addresses...... look for a setting to reduce the "lease time" of the DHCP assigned IP address (so that if the device isn't on the address can be re-used)
Worth a look anyway.

Everytime I phoned them before, I had to go through their scripted troubleshooting. Not connected to wifi, filter in phone socket, etc etc.
I eventually got a replacement on attempt number 7 I think. When I phoned, their computers were playing up, and I said I wasn't actually at home to perform their troubleshooting. "Tell you what. As you've phoned up about this issue before, I'll send you a new Hub"
Murdoch: I assume I am using both wifi frequencies. When I was having problems, one of the techs suggested naming the 2.4 and the 5 differently, so the devices had to choose one or the other.

If anyone else is having problems with their ISP, persevere with phoning them up, go through their troubleshooting... eventually they will send new equipment. If not, then threaten to change provider.

Murdoch: I assume I am using both wifi frequencies. When I was having problems, one of the techs suggested naming the 2.4 and the 5 differently, so the devices had to choose one or the other.

You need to launch the BT Smart Hub Manager and look at what is connected etc ....

We have a HH6 - its pretty good, better than the HH5 ... and the 3rd Party one I tried with BT

Also you need to establish if you have overlap with your neighbours wifi - download something like :

Free WiFi scanner for windows - Acrylic WiFi Home - https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

Then you can see if a neighbour has a stronger hub than you and is affecting you - this does happen. You can manually set the wifi channel on the BT HH6

If you have kids the parental controls are very useful!

Hope this helps

I'll try the scanner. And set the channel. Although we are a detached house... the neighbours signal isn't as strong.
Parental control is in place. I cant even buy a good bottle of wine online without overriding it. The hub disconnects the kids devices after 9 at night, so I know theyre not instagramming, snapchatting and tweeting into the night (much to 17 year old daughters dismay... I had to change hers to 11pm)

Reply to Limit to number of devices on BT Homehub 6 (infinity2)? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock