Discuss Line carrying voltage, neutral no voltage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That would seem a normal scenario, but not sure I understand. Exactly what are you measuring and what is the issue?
just ignore me - everyone has asked the same thing - give some clarity Anthony ?

That would seem a normal scenario, but not sure I understand. Exactly what are you measuring and what is the issue?
just ignore me - everyone has asked the same thing - give some clarity Anthony ?
Apologies. the the RCD shares the up and down sockets. When I test the sockets on the Kewtech on the trip Le rcd, insulation etc it shows no voltage. I press test and the RCD trips. GGGrrrrrrrrrrrTRIP_2324.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not au fait with mfts prefer separates so I can only assume it is indicating a poor earth path. The fault loop path is line to earth which the meter is looking for so if the earth is not there it may indicate 0v.

I think DPG meant measuring the voltage directly.

By the way I think you have the L and N leads plugged in the wrong way round on the back of the Kewtech, unless I'm reading the wrong manual ?

I have a similar Kewtech though mine isn't a 'plus'.
You are right, you should see the Line/Neutral voltage on the screen at that point.
From the manual:
1636805257215.png

So you are right to raise your eyebrows.
I've just noticed you said ALL upstairs sockets are like this. Are they on their own circuit or same ring as downstairs?
Have you re-proved the tester and test leads are working downstairs or elsewhere since discovering this?
I'd put the MFT down and pick up the 2 pole tester and go back to first principles, L-E and L-N tests at all sockets, maybe check wiring for circuit at CU too. Until you are seeing a normal supply at the sockets there's no point proceeding with loop tests. Logic will eventually prevail...

This is an interesting one, so do report back!

I have a similar Kewtech though mine isn't a 'plus'.
You are right, you should see the Line/Neutral voltage on the screen at that point.
From the manual:
View attachment 91970

So you are right to raise your eyebrows.
I've just noticed you said ALL upstairs sockets are like this. Are they on their own circuit or same ring as downstairs?
Have you re-proved the tester and test leads are working downstairs or elsewhere since discovering this?
I'd put the MFT down and pick up the 2 pole tester and go back to first principles, L-E and L-N tests at all sockets, maybe check wiring for circuit at CU too. Until you are seeing a normal supply at the sockets there's no point proceeding with loop tests. Logic will eventually prevail...

This is an interesting one, so do report back!
Hi, upstairs sockets are on a different breaker yet share the same RCD. All leads Nulled and yes will try again tomorrow and do and EICR on the fuseboard.

Thank you

Reply to Line carrying voltage, neutral no voltage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net