Discuss LINE launch the BS5733 maintenance free (MF) kit for Junction Boxes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Reaction score
Dear Forum Member,

LINE is pleased to announce the launch the BS5733 maintenance free (MF) kit for our junction box.

The kit is available in a 3 pole (12 port) 32A or 4 pole (16 port) 20A option. The kit will include a MF connector, a specially labeled cable tie and instructions to be used with the standard LINE K97 enclosure. We hope to be adding additional connectors to the MF range in the near future.

I am sure that you will agree that the LINE MF is the easiest to use most versatile MF Junction box available!

The kits are now available exclusively to forum members through our forum shop. For access to the shop please click on the picture, FORUMSHOP or enter through our banners on the forum.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who offered suggestions during the development phase. If you have suggestions for new products or improvements to other products please get in touch.

Thanks for your ongoing support.

Regards

Farrel
aka "LineProducts"

Click HERE to visit the forum profile of LineProducts, and add them as your friend!

Attachments

• LINE MF JUNCTION BOX.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,265
Last edited:
It's an approved maintenance free JB. You can now use wago's and this enclosure without the worry of having to place a JB in an accessable place!!

Happy days!

Note quite. what is advertised is the connector unit (and tie wrap/label) to use with the standard Line enclosures. So one of these kits plus a K97 enclosure makes a MF junction box. I believe the enclosure with standard wago (or line) connectors isn't officially maintenance free as the connectors don't fully conform to the correct BS spec. Lineproducts can correct me if I am wrong!

I've just got some. It is the first time I have used Lines enclosures and I like them - nice and easy to use. My only minor criticisms so far are that the MF connectors have pretty strong springs so inserting stranded cable is sometimes fiddly if you don't depress the button fully and the size of the 4 way means it has to be rotated sideways to fit in the K97 enclosures which is slightly more fiddly that then 3 way versions - still much easier than trying to use a standard junction box though!

Does this have BS EN 60670-22 and BS 5733 type approvals? My interpretation of the standards are that the accessory, junction box or enclosure has to have the BS EN number(s) and MF circle symbol moulded into the product, applied labeling is non-compliant and hence with BS 7671, 526.3(vi) also. So applied labeling suggesting that the accessory is to BS 5733 and MF (no circle) is just 'smoke and mirrors' and should not be accepted as a maintenance free accessory by any QS or scheme assessor.

Last edited by a moderator:
The BS5733 & MF "label" is printed on the tie wrap which is used to lock the enclosure closed. So I guess it counts as part of the enclosure and so is compliant.

Does this have type approval? My interpretation of the standard is that the junction box or enclosure has to have the BS EN number and MF symbol moulded into the product, applied labeling is non-compliant.

The regs say " .... marked with the symbol MF and installed in accordance with manufacturers instrucitons." The kit complies with this and the goes beyond the marking requirements of BS5733."

BRMAN is spot on - the cable tie is an integral component to the enclosure.

Does this have BS EN 60670-22 type approval? My interpretation of the standard is that the junction box or enclosure has to have the BS EN number and MF circle symbol moulded into the product, applied labeling is non-compliant and hence with BS7671 also. So applied labeling suggesting that the terminals are to BS 5733 is just 'smoke and mirrors' and should not be accepted by any QS or scheme assessor.

You are suggesting some pretty heavy stuff. Please quote the relevant regs you are referring to or withdraw your comments.

You are suggesting some pretty heavy stuff. Please quote the relevant regs you are referring to or withdraw your comments.
I was just stating my personal opinion and seeking clarification.
Even if you are correct in regard of BS 5733, BS 7671:2008, Amt 1:2011, 526.3(vi) states that the maintenance free accessory must be marked with the MF enclosed in a circle symbol, in the picture above the cable tie on your product is marked MF without a circle and in my view non-compliant currently.

This looks like it will work well and complies with the being opened by a tool reg but you can also fit a cable tie around a Wago box, which would then comply too.

This looks like it will work well and complies with the being opened by a tool reg but you can also fit a cable tie around a Wago box, which would then comply too.

Unfortunately (for them) not. It is not just about the labeling. BS5733 involves a very expensive set of tests. The connector used is not certified for use in the wago enclosure.

EDIT: typed too slow, this was in response to MarkieSparkies last post....

It is a circle on the actual product.

As I have just assembled one perhaps these pics might help. I am not sure if I have done this the best way but it was pretty easy.....

1. 4 connector block wired as loop in, loop out, switch and light. (ignore the lack of sleeving!) 1mm2 cable for reference.
connected.jpg
2. block rotated ready for going in enclosure.
aligned.jpg

3. assembled. There should be cable ties as cable clamps but this shows the idea and the labelling.
assebled.jpg

Reply to LINE launch the BS5733 maintenance free (MF) kit for Junction Boxes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net