Discuss Line & Neutral Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

EddieB

-
Arms
Reaction score
When testing an existing circuit lighting circuit I found that there were a great many 12v lights in the bedrooms and bathroom and was unable to access some of the transformers therefore I was unable to test between line and neutral with the switches shut, would this be acceptable on the schedule of tests and should it be noted on the limitations part of the certificate.

Jasons 6939
I have tested Line to earth and Neutral to earth already they read fine, its the resistance between L&N I need, I'm not missing anything here am I?? what does the L&N together to earth as you suggest actually do.

Hey.

He maens Limitation, as in limitations on inspection and testing.

I dont know if I'd be happy with that though.

As Mr Mod said testing at 250V is safer as that is the voltage at which the transformers operate so they would not be damaged by the test.

Cheers:D

Doing an insulation resistance test on a 230 volt system at 230 volt and using that test to confirm satisfactory insulation resistance would not be recomended
By all means use a 230 volt test to check if anything is left in circuit,neons lamps transformers etc ,but as you know the test at 500 volt is used to see if the insulation properties are breaking down
Some people test between neutral-earth with the switches open when in your position,thereby making sure the switch wire to the light is included in the test I dont do this because if there was a fault on that leg then the transformer can be damaged by having the 500 volt applied to it in these circumstances
I would recomend do as suggested and link live and neutral together and test to earth This way the transformer is in effect shorted out and cant be damaged by a fault causing a closed circuit
This test is acceptable where lamps cant be removed or in your instance with transformers

Reply to Line & Neutral Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock