Discuss Line power but receptacle not working. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So i have 2 wires coming into a gang box. 1 is hot, the other is not powered because it is feeding the next device. Im trying to connect a gfci. I put the hot line in the outlet and it never powered on. What could the problem be?

You say you have two wires a hot in and an outgoing hot, is there a neutral?
What was connected there previously.

You say you have two wires a hot in and an outgoing hot, is there a neutral?
What was connected there previously.
Originally there was a 2 prong receptacle that was not working properly. I Wanted to put in some 3 prong receptacles so i am using GFCI. The house was built in the 60s so its only hot and nuetral wires. There are 2 sets in the gang box. 1 set is the line which is hot, the other is the load which is feeding another receptacle. Trying to figure out why the GFCI doesnt power on when the line wires are connected? Is the GFCI bad?

So i have 2 wires coming into a gang box. 1 is hot, the other is not powered because it is feeding the next device. Im trying to connect a gfci. I put the hot line in the outlet and it never powered on. What could the problem be?
To wire a GFCI look on the back of the GFCI and read where it says line on top and load on the bottom. You have 2 cables coming in the box with one cable being the hot which goes to line and the other cable being used as the load so hook them up on the load terminals. Remember the white wire has to go on the neutral side that corresponds with the black wire in the same cable. Power it back up and press the reset.

Sir I have done this already. The problem is that the GFCI does not power up. What reason could that be?
If you are 100% sure you have it wired correctly and you mash the reset and it won’t reset then you have problems down stream from the load side

OK. Yes correct. I am not getting power to the GFCI. Even when I wired the receptacle up on the line side, it still did not power up.
Well you about have it figured out. Start at the receptacle before the GFCI and start taking the other receptacles loose and find your problem which a wire has come loose somewhere Are you getting power out from the breaker on that particular circuit. Good luck

Reply to Line power but receptacle not working. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net