Discuss Line to CPC ratio. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just curious. I'm trying to find a poor connection on a ring circuit CPC by comparing resistance between the lines and cpc. I've chocced them all together at one end at the CU. I'm looking for a divergence between the CPC to line and line - line ratio. What is the ratio of CPC - line compared with line to line on 2.5 twin and earth? I know end to end it's 1.67. I tried halving 1.67 to 0.83 but I'm not sure this is right?

Cheers

use a wander lead with a break out box. just measure L then cpc. should be 1.67x that.

It's the ratio of the CSA of the cables.. so 2.5/(2.5+1.5) = 0.625 or 1.6 if you want in the inverse... if I've understood what you're trying to do.

Or you could use the resistance of conductors (in mΩ/m) from the back of GN3 ?

OK, so for every ohm on L, you have 1.67 ohms on E.

It's the ratio of the CSA of the cables.. so 2.5/(2.5+1.5) = 0.625 or 1.6 if you want in the inverse... if I've understood what you're trying to do.

Or you could use the resistance of conductors (in mΩ/m) from the back of GN3 ?
Thanks. So now I'm back home and had a chance to think about it. It must be an average of the 2? ie r1 and r2. So it's 1 + 1.67 / 2 = 1.335.

So the ration of r1 to r1 + r2 is 1.335 Does anyone concur? But yes I can see that I could use a table to measure resistances against each other.

Thanks. So now I'm back home and had a chance to think about it. It must be an average of the 2? ie r1 and r2. So it's 1 + 1.67 / 2 = 1.335.

So the ration of r1 to r1 + r2 is 1.335 Does anyone concur? But yes I can see that I could use a table to measure resistances against each other.
I suggest that you draw it out... each conductor will be a resistor... it might then become obvious.

If I've understood correctly, you want to:

Disconnect both legs of the ring at the CU
Connect together L,N and E of one leg only
Test continuity at each point, L to N, and L to E
Compare results, checking that they are in proportion, in order to find a loose connection on the CPC

If so, the L to E result should be 1.333 times the L to N result:

((2.5/1.5)+(2.5/2.5))/2 = 1.333

If I've understood correctly, you want to:

Disconnect both legs of the ring at the CU
Connect together L,N and E of one leg only
Test continuity at each point, L to N, and L to E
Compare results, checking that they are in proportion, in order to find a loose connection on the CPC

If so, the L to E result should be 1.333 times the L to N result:

((2.5/1.5)+(2.5/2.5))/2 = 1.333
Great. Yes that's what I was trying to do.

Reply to Line to CPC ratio. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock