Discuss Linuo panels - performing better than Sanyo? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SolarCity

-
Arms
Reaction score
Okay, probably like the rest of you we have been monitoring a lot of our systems lately as we have a bit of time on our hands. We have been comparing results with our predicted yields on both software and SAP and trying to see which panels are performing the best.

Sanyo are performing well but the best seem to be the Linuo panels. We haven't been installing them for long so we haven't got any yearly figures yet but the results so far are very impressive. Towards the end of the year we will compile a chart of the panels we have used with a comparison ratio against our SAP calculations and PV Sol calculations. If it seems handy then we'll probably keep updating it as we get more results in.

We're not doing the same for inverters but from our brief analysis we have noticed that the Fronius IG TL inverters appear to be performing better than others. Which is surprising as I had kind of ignored them as an option for the last 6 months or so. Perhaps I need to start looking at them again.

Perhaps surprisingly, the polycrystalline Linuo panels are doing slightly better than the monocrystalline panels.

No big surprise regarding Fronius - unless you need dual mpp they are still some of the most efficient inverters you can get.
Panels - never seen any great performance improvement using Sanyo. Only really were useful (note past tense due to current uneconomic pricing!) where there was a lack of space. Never subscribed to the 'mines more efficient than yours' marketing.
Poly panels may be showing better figures at the moment due to the 'odd' mix of weather we have had over the last few months?

Last edited by a moderator:
Poly panels may be showing better figures at the moment due to the 'odd' mix of weather we have had over the last few months?

Possibly. This is why I'm looking forward to the annual figures.

And agreed about the Fronius inverters. I think they're a tad overpriced though and the monitoring options are pretty poor.

I think the thing with Fronius is that they have concentrated on the main unit, and what really matters - efficient, reliable conversion of DC to AC. Pricing has now started to come down, but yes if you want some web based or portable monitoring then the adds on add up.
Mind you, most of our customers recognise that the best of both worlds lies with SolarEdge....

You'll not see the performance advantage from the sanyos until the hot summer months, and we seem to be missing them so far this year, with only a couple of weeks of genuinely hot weather so far.

re inverters - a hell of a lot depends on how well the string voltage matches with the inverters efficiency curve. 8 x 30V panels per string on a SB 4000TL for example is pretty low down on the efficiency curve, vs 16 x 30V panels on one string on the Fronius, which I believe is pretty much in the sweet spot for that inverter.

This also significantly impacts on the output figures you'll get for different panels, so to be fair and accurate on that you'd need to correct for those differences IMO, otherwise the comparisons aren't valid for system components individually, just for those specific combinations of equipment.

eta - we intend to do a similar thing, and have started to collect some data, but this is probably something for August now.

This also significantly impacts on the output figures you'll get for different panels, so to be fair and accurate on that you'd need to correct for those differences IMO, otherwise the comparisons aren't valid for system components individually, just for those specific combinations of equipment.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that PV Sol takes this into consideration and we're comparing our results to both PV Sol calcs as well as SAP.

But I do get your point. And I've no doubt there is a lot of other stuff going on which will affect results. The more data that I collect, the better I'll be able to analyse our results.

Perhaps the biggest one for panel performance that most people miss is how exposed the roof is, we see significant gains where the house has good airflow, but as you say design design design, Ive a fronius on my system but it struggles with the shade that my system gets early and late with one mpp, SMA 4000Tl's deal with that sort of problem very well.

Thank you for producing real infomation about Linuo panels.
Although they produce a similar output to Sanyo and REC, they are far
less expensive to buy.
If we had spent a fortune on markeking, like so many now bankrupt
companies, everyone would know that they produce more power per £
than anything else.
Check out the competitor comparisons and customer testimonials at our
web site, linuouk.com and make your own mind up.

Reply to Linuo panels - performing better than Sanyo? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net