Discuss Little confused at the moment about garage installation in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sim2kuk2009

Hi all,

im going to be installing a consumer unit into my brothers garage coming from his consumer unit in is home im just wondering now weather or not ill have to test the whole consumer unit in his home or just the circuit ive installed. i know i need to test all circuits in the garage. Im thinking ill have to test the whole board but im hoping i wont.

thank yo all.

Last edited by a moderator:
You only have to test the new works, as it is aa additional Cu you'll do all the tests that will show if there is a problem with the origin of the install, Ze, Pfc etc if you have a problem with it at the new unit you'll have to work it back to the original Cu and take it from there.

I was under the impression that if you ADD a new circuit to an Existing board

you had to test the whole board to ensure that the extra load its taking is sufficient and Safe to do so

Thats why there is a tendency to split the tails into Henley's then just run any new circuits from new 1/2way

board you have installed . = less testing

You might want to click on the Thanks logo its the one to the right with the thumbs up

you may even want to click on it a few times

I was wondering about this also. If you use Henleys and split to a second unit, would you RCD protect the supply to the garage and then include another RCD in the garage CU?

I was wondering about this also. If you use Henleys and split to a second unit, would you RCD protect the supply to the garage and then include another RCD in the garage CU?

No. You only use one RCD either at the supply end or in the garage CU. You cannot have 2 RCDs of the same rating on the same circuit as there would be no discrimination between the 2.

Also you do not have to test any other circuits apart from the ones that you yourself have worked on. Electricians use henly blocks for a variety of reasons. But the reason given " to avoid having to test an old board" is not a valid one.

Electricians use henly blocks for a variety of reasons. But the reason given " to avoid having to test an old board" is not a valid one.[/QUOTE]

Could you elaborate further please

Electricians use henly blocks for a variety of reasons. But the reason given " to avoid having to test an old board" is not a valid one.

Could you elaborate further please[/quote]

Sure. Whenever new circuits are installed to an existing board there is no requirement to test any other cct on that board, other than the newly installed ccts. Whether or not you have a new stand alone board to cater for the new ccts, or use the old board, the amount of testing required remains the same.

Henly blocks are used to split the supply for different reasons- there may not be enough ways on the old board to accomodate the new ccts. If it's an old 16th edition ccu then to arrange new ccts in such a way to minimise disruption it may be easier just to put in a new 2nd board with RCBOs. The old board may be rewirable fuses, so to avoid having to fit a whole new board for say just 2 new ccts it may well be more cost efficient to split the supply and fit a new stand allone ccu.

Hope this helps.

Could you elaborate further please

Sure. Whenever new circuits are installed to an existing board there is no requirement to test any other cct on that board, other than the newly installed ccts. Whether or not you have a new stand alone board to cater for the new ccts, or use the old board, the amount of testing required remains the same.

Henly blocks are used to split the supply for different reasons- there may not be enough ways on the old board to accomodate the new ccts. If it's an old 16th edition ccu then to arrange new ccts in such a way to minimise disruption it may be easier just to put in a new 2nd board with RCBOs. The old board may be rewirable fuses, so to avoid having to fit a whole new board for say just 2 new ccts it may well be more cost efficient to split the supply and fit a new stand allone ccu.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Would like to REVISE my reply and apologies for mis -information

If you add a circuit to an existing installation there is NO need to test the whole board. Just the circuit you

are working on. Saveloy thank you for your informative and articulate reply . I go now with my head

hanged in shame . Yes that is me staring forlornly at the river below

When spliting the tails with 'henly blocks you must also consider installing a mian switch before them to provide a single point of isolation for the installation, other wise you end up with two or more main switchs.
Regards
AJ

Reply to Little confused at the moment about garage installation in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock