Discuss Live Earth loop testing on light circuits in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Steve,

Safely isolate installation (obviously)

Ensure Main Switch, all MCBs and all RCDs are open (off)

Link out 'Line' and 'CPC' at furtherest point on circuit.

Using two lead 'Loop Tester', place one probe on the outgoing side of the MCB, for circuit you wish to test, and the other probe on the incomming 'Line' conductor at the 'Main Switch'.
Take Zs reading.:)

Alternatively, if you wish to test through the MCB, but skip the RCD, then close the MCB (of circuit under test), and place your probes on the outgoing 'Line' of the RCD and the incomming 'Line' of the 'Main Switch'
Take Zs reading.:)

Don't forget to remove the 'Link';)

Hi Steve,

Some people cringe when this method is mentioned - and some just can't get their heads around it.

In my opinion, it could be a better option than standing on a set of 'steps' and trying to get your probes onto the terminals in a ceiling rose.
Also helpful if you haven't got a 'no-trip' tester as it won't trip the RCD.:)

I said this before on another thread I am not saying it's right or wrong just this is what the Nikky teach now.

As per Electricity at work regulations," No person shall be engaged in or or so near any Live conductor...." "Unless it is unreasonable in all circumstances for it to be dead".

taking of Zs using probes at non- socket points isn't necessary as it can be gained by calculation, therefore you don't have to test non-socket points with probes, you can use calcs, some may not agree but that is the NICEIC veiw or at least it was last time I was on a course at HQ Dunstable, whether thats an *** covering exercise is debatable but that's another discussion

I said this before on another thread I am not saying it's right or wrong just this is what the Nikky teach now.

As per Electricity at work regulations," No person shall be engaged in or or so near any Live conductor...." "Unless it is unreasonable in all circumstances for it to be dead".

taking of Zs using probes at non- socket points isn't necessary as it can be gained by calculation, therefore you don't have to test non-socket points with probes, you can use calcs, some may not agree but that is the NICEIC veiw or at least it was last time I was on a course at HQ Dunstable, whether thats an a$$ covering exercise is debatable but that's another discussion

So what about testing Ze - done with probes at the CU (No different to the procedure I described above for Zs).:)

And before you say Ze can be obtained by enquiry - yes it can - they'll quote you the standard 0.35 or 0.8 - hardly an accurate Zs figure if you then add it to your R1 + R2.

AND....you won't have confirmed that you even have an earth path - everythings been calculated.

Remember, R1 + R2 tends to be tested before circuits are terminated into CU - so what happens if, on termination of the CPC, you accidently tighten down on the conductor insulation, giving a high resistance joint.
Your calculation isn't going to show that up.:)

I don't care what the NICEIC say - Zs measurement is an important test.:)

We are supposed to be competent to do this - and, in my opinion, 'live testing' doesn't constitute 'working' live - it is necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with WayneL on this one, we all know that you CAN calculate Zs, you CAN get Ze by enquiry but what value do these figures really have compared to genuine, measured values?

I didn't say don't do it, neither did I mention either Ze or PFC in the post, I was merely reflecting current good practise as viewed by the NIC, at the end of the day it's your name on the cert, so the person in question is entitled to do it how he pleases, and BRB 612.9 says it can be determined by an alternative method that's not a matter of opinion that's a matter of fact, perhaps the IEE as well as the NIC are wrong 'eh ;)

Well i see your point however i have come across this on several occasions do an R1 R2 test at a cooker switch / socket reading was 0.10 ,fine nice reading , then did the Zs and the reading was infinity , the fault was down to a faulty neutral within the cooker switch ,another one was an immersion heater High zs when continuitys were ok Zswas high and that was due agin to a neutral fault in the switch which do not show up when you do your R1 R2 tests or even IR which was detected by doing a live Zs test ,so thats part of the reason we do them , when i do a PIR i will test every socket in the installation with a Zs test it take ages but at least i know the sockets are ok . now these days there is an adaptor for almost (i said almost) every light fitting SES,GU10 Bayonet ES so you just plug yoiur testers into them and off you go still a few that need doing but

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick I still do live tests for Zs in fact I do them at the end of all non socket circuits, it's a good final reassuring test the point I was trying get across is that it isn't a 7671 regulation to meter it.

I was thinking about the adapters but wondered how you get the cpc connection on a class 2 ? I guess it has a flying neutral clip ?, and the other thing is on an ES the line will be centre N on side on BC the L/N could be on either terminal does that matter to the machine ?

Last edited:
I didn't say don't do it, neither did I mention either Ze or PFC in the post, I was merely reflecting current good practise as viewed by the NIC, at the end of the day it's your name on the cert, so the person in question is entitled to do it how he pleases, and BRB 612.9 says it can be determined by an alternative method that's not a matter of opinion that's a matter of fact, perhaps the IEE as well as the NIC are wrong 'eh ;)

Yes, it can be determined by an alternative method, but the regs are saying it for a different reason to the NIC.
The regs are giving you an alternative method of calculating it - doesn't mean you shouldn't still test it to see if that's the figure that you get.:)

Zs testing also confirms the earth path - and gives you your actual reading to compare to the BRB, the 'design spec' and the calculated figure.

Also, there is no requirement to measure R1 + R2 on a PIR - but there is a requirement to determine Zs - so how are you going to do that?

The NICEIC think they make the rules - they don't. They are pushing 'calculation' on safety grounds....they should put more effort into ensuring the competence of their members.:)

Ze + R1 + R2 does not confirm that you actually have an 'earth fault loop path' - only measurement can confirm this.

GN3 and the 2391 both have you testing ZS - 'live' testing is unavoidable and shouldn't be discouraged but safe ways of doing it should be encouraged.

My opinion:D

Well i see your point however i have come across this on several occasions do an R1 R2 test at a cooker switch / socket reading was 0.10 ,fine nice reading , then did the Zs and the reading was infinity , the fault was down to a faulty neutral within the cooker switch ,another one was an immersion heater High zs when continuitys were ok Zswas high and that was due agin to a neutral fault in the switch which do not show up when you do your R1 R2 tests or even IR which was detected by doing a live Zs test ,so thats part of the reason we do them , when i do a PIR i will test every socket in the installation with a Zs test it take ages but at least i know the sockets are ok . now these days there is an adaptor for almost (i said almost) every light fitting SES,GU10 Bayonet ES so you just plug yoiur testers into them and off you go still a few that need doing but

Nick, you've lost me.

You're going to have to explain to me what the 'neutral' has to do with Zs.

And Steve, you've lost me with this:):...

I was thinking about the adapters but wondered how you get the cpc connection on a class 2 ? I guess it has a flying neutral clip ?, and the other thing is on an ES the line will be centre N on side on BC the L/N could be on either terminal does that matter to the machine ?

Wayne re adapters.

I assumed that Nick was referring to a plug in adaptor that replaces a light bulb to be able the measure Zs so we reduce the risk of touching live conductors with probes inside the rose.

To do this on a low loop test it requires a 3 wire set up, a high loop just L and E either way the flex on the light is going to only have L/N so we need to get an E ? on an ES L is always centre on BC you can put L/E on either terminal on holder ? so does the machine care if the L and N are reversed ?
Simples :)

Remember that you shouldnt be calculating anything on a new installation.

Plus, there is a debate as to whether actual R1 & R2 measuring is more reliable than actual live testing.

With a live test, you COULD have an earth path through main bonding and the like, rather than physically testing the CPC is intact throughout the circuit under test.

Reply to Live Earth loop testing on light circuits in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock