Discuss Live Loop in the switch, how to extend? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

danny199

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hello, another can of worms that I have had the misfortune to find. The Mrs decided to take out a wall, and we need to move the existing light switches. I thought it would be a simple job but it looks like the switch has the live loop running through it. I need to move the switch and just wondered how best to go about it.

I also wondered if its possible with this light switch to replace the back box with a plastic one, as I'm putting the light switch back into a stud wall.

Live Loop in the switch, how to extend? 20190506_152604 - EletriciansForums.net

Employ the services of an electrician. Shouldn't take long for them to carry out a simple job.

They can also check how safe the earthing is on that lighting circuit. Looks like some cpc's there without the necessary mechanical protection.

if you arent confident enough to sort it yourself get a local electrician in, otherwise label and mark cables accordingly if you know what they all do, cut back. terminate with wagos in a maintenance free junction box

Double insulated singles

Any slack to pull to new position ?

Insulated and sheathed...the pedant in me couldn't help it!

You can join it all the same. As has been pointed out, maintenance free is a must. You can use whatever kind of box you want in the new position!

Hello, thanks for the feedback chap. Yes, I was looking at wago or similar but was expecting standard 3 core wire when the Mrs took the wall out. I was planning to add the wago in the attic (this is on on the first floor for future access if need be) Unfortunately, I don't have enough slack to move it without adding some new wire, otherwise it would be easy peasy. As its going back into a stud wall I was planning to use a plastic box but given I've got two earth wires going in, not sure what to do. Do I just join them together and leave in the new box covered in insulation tape, or do them separate?

I do appreciate the get a sparky if you can't do it, and I'm not thinking of fitting a new consumer unit or a rewire but I think moving a socket and changing a switch should be doable.

If using a plastic box you can join them together with a Wago too, no need to tape.

essex???? crimpcd connectors and spray with fake tan. 3 coats for IP55. :D:D:D:D:D.

Reply to Live Loop in the switch, how to extend? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock