Discuss Live voltage at crank in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nclleeon

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a Vauxhall insignia 2.0 cdti non starter, cranks but no start.
It also doesn’t crank very fast, tried new battery and still the same, it cranks kind of sluggish and the dash lights start to flicker, live voltage readings at crank drop from 12v to 7v, does that mean the starter motor is shorting somewhere inside ? Thanks

Hi everyone, I have a Vauxhall insignia 2.0 cdti non starter, cranks but no start.
It also doesn’t crank very fast, tried new battery and still the same, it cranks kind of sluggish and the dash lights start to flicker, live voltage readings at crank drop from 12v to 7v, does that mean the starter motor is shorting somewhere inside ? Thanks

Worth checking the connections are good between battery and starter. And the earth connections. At these currents any bad connection will cause significant volt drop.

I’ve checked all that DPG and there’s good earth and good positive to starter, I’m wondering if the starter is on its way and causes voltage drops cause it’s slow at crank…I also get codes u0140 and c0800 after cranking, I also wonder if there’s a chafed wire somewhere. Cheers

I’ve checked all that DPG and there’s good earth and good positive to starter, I’m wondering if the starter is on its way and causes voltage drops cause it’s slow at crank…I also get codes u0140 and c0800 after cranking, I also wonder if there’s a chafed wire somewhere. Cheers

Does sound like it's worth getting the starter checked out.

Reply to Live voltage at crank in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net