Discuss Live wire taped off in the loft. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Goatus

-
Reaction score
Afternoon all, new on here and hoping someone maybe able to offer a bit of advice?

I am flooring the loft at the moment in the loft, and there is a length of wire (grey 3 core) that has just been taped off and taped to the rafters. The wire is live (240v) but isolating the MCB for upstairs lights/sockets and downstairs lights sockets makes no difference so assuming it's not to do with them! I did wonder whether it was put up to faciliate loft lighting?

As mentioned it's a fairly new build house.

I'm a novice at this and am curious as to what it was and if anybody would know?
Many thanks
Nick

There seems to be a lot of tape around.
First question. How do you know the cable is live?
edit….late, it seems.

Cheers for the quick replys!

Firstly im assuming as testing with a voltage tester / multi meter is bringing a reading of 237/240, although wet finger test would give a positive result I'm sure! :astonished::astonished::tearsofjoy:

There are Ariel wires up there (as in the previous house) so thats another option! I shall continue the search!

Any chance you could trace the cable route? when you say 3 core do you mean L,N and Earth?

It comes up on the exterior wall side, which is also the side of the consumer unit (located down stairs in the under stairs cupboard ). Yes that's right L N and earth. I've attached an image of said wire, not that it will be much help!

Thanks again!

20190127_135325.jpg

Cheers for the quick replys!

Firstly im assuming as testing with a voltage tester / multi meter is bringing a reading of 237/240, although wet finger test would give a positive result I'm sure! :astonished::astonished::tearsofjoy:

There are Ariel wires up there (as in the previous house) so thats another option! I shall continue the search!
who the hell puts washing powder in the loft, unless it's a funny place to get 'er indoors out the way, doing the weekly wash. :eek::eek::eek:

oops, just seen it's a recent build.navigation through the jungle of weedy roof trusses and 2 ft/ thick itchy-poo needs a risk assessment, full bio-hazard suit, and a link to the local plod's missing persons department.

It comes up on the exterior wall side, which is also the side of the consumer unit (located down stairs in the under stairs cupboard ). Yes that's right L N and earth. I've attached an image of said wire, not that it will be much help!

Thanks again!

View attachment 47424
Looks like it's 2.5mm2 that has been spurred from a socket in one of the bedrooms.
Try isolating the sockets upstairs, or is there a spare way in your fuse board marked up as loft supply or something that may look like it, probably a supply for a roof socket, get an Electrician in to identify and terminate it safely, left like that is dangerous. Simple 15 min job

or get a plumber in. then it will never work again.... ever.

Ok thanks, I did try isolating the sockets upstairs but seemed to make no difference. I shall investigate some more when time permits. I think that'll probably be the best option to get it terminated properly , or if I find it's use it may actually be of use someway!

And the washing machine was a tongue in cheek reply to an earlier post :thumbsup:

Thanks again all!

As it is a fairly new build I would be informing the builders of the dangerous condition that the building has been left in. I wonder how many other properties have the same in the loft?

Ok thanks, I did try isolating the sockets upstairs but seemed to make no difference. I shall investigate some more when time permits. I think that'll probably be the best option to get it terminated properly , or if I find it's use it may actually be of use someway!

And the washing machine was a tongue in cheek reply to an earlier post :thumbsup:

Thanks again all!
You're right Goatus, that cable looks long enough to terminate anywhere you like, depending on where it's fed from will determine how many sockets yo can have, may be possible to have lighting as well, only a competent Electrician will be able to help, don't try it on your own please, get professional help, the jobs half done anyway getting the supply to the roof space, don't waste the opportunity.

Reply to Live wire taped off in the loft. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net