Discuss Locating distance of earth fault in buried swa in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
I have a earth fault on a customers drive with 30 drive over fittings.
The swa runs past each fitting and has a resin branch joint,with one cable going into fitting.
Have narrowed fault down to cable by dismantling fittings etc.
Is there any tester or method of measuring from the end of cable to fault.
We know the route of cable.
I relize I cold do the old dig cable

Is it a dead short or a partial fault?
If it's a dead short you can measure the resistance of the fault from each end of the cable and work out a rough distance along the cable to the fault.

There are more advanced ways of doing it too

0.00 at 250v and 500v l-e n-e
Are you saying set mft to ohms and test between l-e at both ends and note reading then I can go from there.
Sorry never done this before.
Out tonight so won't be ignoring replys
Thanks for quick replys at least I know there is a way now

Wheatstone Bridge method, sorry I can't help anymore,It's been a long long time since I used this method, I used to be able to work it out, but age and red wine has dulled my thinking capacity, perhaps one of the more youthful members can help. Or wack some DC down the cable and use a cable meter that causes the ground to thump near the fault, don't know how it works but I have seen the contractor that maintained my U/G system use it and it worked very well

Last edited:
Are you saying set mft to ohms and test between l-e at both ends and note reading then I can go from there.

0.00 what? Elephants?

I mean measure the resistance of the fault, you can use whatever test instrument you like. But personally I don't use an MFT for fault finding.

are those readings taken with the lamps in it out?

Hi
The swa runs past each fitting and has a resin branch joint,with one cable going into fitting.

If the fault is fairly low resistance, measuring resistance L to E at each fitting should get you pretty close. The fitting with the lowest resistance reading will be nearest the fault.

(Disconnect/isolate both L and N at the supply end.)

Hi

A suggestion on how to proceed building on Davesparks #3, Handysparks #9 and Spinlondons #10:

Call one end of cable 'Supply' and the other 'End'. Disconnect all lamp fittings first and both ends of cable.
Use an accurate dc ohmmeter - an instrument more precise than an MFT to take some resistance measurements as follows.

1. First confirm continuity of each of the conductors and the armouring too.
2. Measure L-N, L-E and N-E at Supply and End. Record measurements.
3. Connect L-N at each end and measure L-N at each of the 30 fittings. Record results.
4. Repeat 3 for L-E and then N-E.
5. Take some graph paper and mark off the x(horizontal axis) with a scale up to the length of the swa.
Mark of the y(vertical axis) with a scale up to the maximum resistance reading found in steps 3 and 4.
6. If you know the distances between each fitting then mark these along the x axis. (If you do not then I will provide a way to deal with that in another post.)
7. Plot the fitting readings from 3 and 4, using a different colour for each.
8. Join the points to create the curve of resistance for each of L-N, L-E and N-E.
9. You should see a smooth symmetrical curve with points lying on it. if you see a change in slope away from the expected smooth curve, this is where there will be near the discontinuity in the cable's characteristics, or in other words near the fault between conductors.

You might be able to narrow down to a stretch of cable between numbered fittings.

[Only a half an hour's thought gone in to this. But the principal is based on comparing a perfect cable's resistance properties to the faulty cable's. A prefect cable is symmetrical about its mid-point whereas a faulty cable is not. A big assumption is that for each conductor the joint box connections are all the same. ]

Last edited:
What's wrong with just measuring the earth fault from both ends and going from there? should be no need to remove lamps.

So, if you get for example 0.7 ohms from the supply end and 1.3 ohms from the other end then the fault is 35% of the length from the supply end.

Or use the same readings coupled with the resistance/metre to work out how far from each end.

What's wrong with just measuring the earth fault from both ends and going from there? should be no need to remove lamps.

So, if you get for example 0.7 ohms from the supply end and 1.3 ohms from the other end then the fault is 35% of the length from the supply end.

Or use the same readings coupled with the resistance/metre to work out how far from each end.

Nothing wrong, albeit I would remove the lamps to measure only the properties of the cabling.

I missed out from my post using the 3 readings at step 2 to divide the length of the cable as you and Davesparks suggest, and drawing on the graph 3 vertical lines (again in the colour for each pair).

I think my scheme provides a little more information to study because measurements are taken at each fitting.

I realise there needs to be some economy of effort: I would want to be as sure as I might be beforehand, using measurements that are possible and relatively easily taken, before digging up a cable.

It is a judgement call. As Lord Sainsbury once said, an ounce of experience is often worth more than a ton of theory! I don't have the experience of faulty swa cables to know whether what you suggest is all that is required - so I am happy to defer to yours and others experience if what you say is successful.

(These are just puzzles for me to engage my mind on - but with the intention of being helpful perhaps if I can. I look forward to learn what the OP actually did and found.)

We need more info but 30 drive over fittings, no indication of all the lamps have been taken out, nor if he has inspected all the lamps for moisture ingress either.

My money is on water in one of the fittings.

Hi plantpot
this is a rough method
We are assuming that the cable is isolated LNE at the dist-board,
and is disconnected from all the lamps or gear connections in the fittings.
That would leave the just the cables and the joints, do an insulationresistance test on the open ends, if that is clear the fault is on one of thelights, (as Murdoch says its probably water or damp in the fitting/fittings)

If it is down you will need a low reading digital multimeter to measure the resistanceof the ends L-E, N-E, L-N
You will also need the table for the K value of cable in milli ohms/meter (notethis reading is listed as a whole number so you will have to divide this by1000 to get it into milli ohms)
Zero the leads.
now measure down the line, through the fault, back down the neutral thisreading needs dividing by two as you have measured both conductors.
Now divide this measurement by the value of K for that cable size.
it may give you a number less than the length of the cable.
That figure is how far down the cable the fault is.
mark the floor.
Now repeat from the far end. if the two marks are close to each other get yourshovel out.

Now repeat from the far end. if the two marks are close to each other get your shovel out.

If there's a big gap, get yer Minidigger out.

AS you've got access to 30 branches off the main run, test from each branch.
If you start 1 end, the fault resistance should get less the closer you get, then start to increase as you go past the fault.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help guys.sorry if its a basic question but is the multimeter suggested a run of the mill meter or special that needs buying or hiring

If using the MFT you have you follow my method, then if you send me the figures I will do the graph and study it to see if I can conclude anything from these readings. Note well the requirement to connect together the pairs of conductors, L-N, L-E and N-E at each end, one at a time.

I do have other methods up my sleeve you might be able to use but let us keep it simple to begin with.

Did you get any further in answering the query of spinlondon on the nature of the fault? Is it a complete short circuit between L, N and E/Armouring?

Please let me know:

a. CSA of SWA.
b. Number of cores.
c. Total length.
d. Is it a linear layout ie: a-b-c-d-e-f.... or are their branches?
e. Any measurements you have so far.
f. Any history to the fault.

Last edited:

Reply to Locating distance of earth fault in buried swa in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock