Discuss Location for consumer unit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
The builder has located the meter box immediately outside the downstairs loo. Now I have reservations about placing a consumer unit in a loo, especially right over the loo itself, but can anybody recall any regulation that prevents it?

Last edited:
The regulations do not mention toilets they only state that an accessory must be suitable for the external influences.
In a toilet it is very unlikely that you will get sprays of water or even a damp atmosphere.
I would agree it does not sound good, but I have seen several situations with the consumer unit in a toilet; it is a right nightmare getting to it if they are high up over the toilet as you can't get near it.

Just hope that the lights don't trip whilst someone is on the bog, they will have to finish off in the dark lol.

I've seen loads of cu's in toilets and ad RB says above there's nothing in the regs about it.

as long as it's mounted above the height at which teenage lads or students! can pee>>>>>

The regulations do not mention toilets they only state that an accessory must be suitable for the external influences.
In a toilet it is very unlikely that you will get sprays of water or even a damp atmosphere.
I would agree it does not sound good, but I have seen several situations with the consumer unit in a toilet; it is a right nightmare getting to it if they are high up over the toilet as you can't get near it.

Yer reckon ?? .................. ye ha'ent seen me performing after a few bottles o' Broon !!!!

The thing is what happens when Joe Public stands on the toilet seat to reset breaker slips and hits his head on the handwash basin or worse the seat collapses but no probs as we would not do that would we lol

Don't forget that CU's should be placed where children can't interfere with them. Imagine the fun they could have flicking all those switches with the door locked :)

Don't forget that CU's should be placed where children can't interfere with them. Imagine the fun they could have flicking all those switches with the door locked :)

if they did that in our gaff, then they'd not be sitting down on the bog or anywhere else for a few hours.

It's easy to scare them away from anything like that though. Grandson (18 months) discovered sockets a few weeks back, every time he went to plug something in if I'm there I shout bang as loud as I can, if I'm not I got girl child an air horn and she blasts it. It scares the living daylights out of him and there's floods of tears. Better him crying than getting a belt

Aversion therapy...very successful..

I can just image, 20 years from now, he will be approaching sockets very carefully and closing his eyes whenever he plugs something in...:bigcry:

Aversion therapy...very successful..

I can just image, 20 years from now, he will be approaching sockets very carefully and closing his eyes whenever he plugs something in...:bigcry:
Hehe "Oh Bugger I have to plug this in, I hope me grandad's not about":)
Better that than a belt though. It only took a couple of days, now he's staying away from them so grandad 1 toddler 0

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind... :)

I hear revenge is sweet so if Grandad ever has to be pushed around in a wheel chair (I hope you never do by the way) then grandson may accidentally forget to hold on when making the decent down a very steep hill with a very busy crossroads at the bottom lol

*** Posted only in Jest *** :thumbsup

Thanks for that "mate"
I'm already planning my revenge on the kids. I had to change nappies so if I ever become incontinent in my twilight years......

See, I told you on another thread I was evil:)

Reply to Location for consumer unit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock