Discuss Location of boiler thermostat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So I'm gonna finally get around to installing a thermostat for my combi boiler tomorrow. The trouble is, I can't decide where to put it. My front door opens into the living room, where there is also a wood burner, so I can't put it in there. I don't have a hall. The kitchen is a no-no obviously. The only place I can think to put it is on the landing, but I never have the rad on there cos I'm a tight-arse. In fact, I only really have the living room rad on in the day and put my son's bedroom one on for an hour before he goes to bed. The bathroom rad is on all the time. I'm starting to think I'd be better off not bothering with a thermostat at all. Any tips?

Just stick to a timeclock. Set it for a half a hour before you get up, half a hour before you get in and half a hour in the evening. Sod the others in the house, if your missus is anything like mine she will be forever clicking the heating on and then forgetting to turn the begger off!!!

I don't have the heating on in the morning, no matter how cold it is. If the wife and boy are home all day then yes, she will crank it right up. She's not the one paying the gas bill, after all! I have had this damned thermostat for nearly two years, and the wife is obsessed with me installing it. I'm still not sure what to do for the best.

Just stick it on the wall and don't wire,the missus will think she is controlling the heating but she's not power off suggestion is great seen it done a few times in offices

Thats a brilliant idea, she might physiologically think it's warm in the house then and save you a fortune! Sod it... In off to disconnect mine when she goes to bed!

I'll admit I'm no expert on central heating. I've done a lot of reading online and read a lot of conflicting views. Some say just TRVs, some say thermostat and no TRVs, others say to have both. The selling point of the thermostat is that the boiler is not running all the time, but does this really matter at the end of the day? At the moment we use a combination of the temp control on the boiler (which is easily accessible in the kitchen) and the TRVs.

I'll admit I'm no expert on central heating. I've done a lot of reading online and read a lot of conflicting views. Some say just TRVs, some say thermostat and no TRVs, others say to have both. The selling point of the thermostat is that the boiler is not running all the time, but does this really matter at the end of the day? At the moment we use a combination of the temp control on the boiler (which is easily accessible in the kitchen) and the TRVs.
I had a lesson when my mate who's a plumber was telling me about different ways to go about controlling heating, my girlfriends mum's place had trv's and no stat but because some turd at some point boxed all the radiators in including the valves, they were useless so i fitted a stat and it works really well now! Another house i work at has just trv's and they work really well, the only one that doesn't have one is the bathroom because the boiler needs to flow through it if all the trv's are not open fully, my place has just a stat in the hall and that maintains a nice temp.

The usual method, as far as I am aware, is to have the stat in the room where the rad has no TRV (the reference rad) and to set the desired temp on the stat. TRVs are then used to set individual room temps with respect to the reference. However, having the reference rad in the bathroom isn't ideal, so scratch that idea.

The usual method, as far as I am aware, is to have the stat in the room where the rad has no TRV (the reference rad) and to set the desired temp on the stat. TRVs are then used to set individual room temps with respect to the reference. However, having the reference rad in the bathroom isn't ideal, so scratch that idea.
The idea of having it in the bathroom is for systems without a stat at all, if you have a stat aswell as trv's i agree, the bathroom isn't a great place for a stat! Hallway or living room!

The idea of having it in the bathroom is for systems without a stat at all, if you have a stat aswell as trv's i agree, the bathroom isn't a great place for a stat! Hallway or living room!

Same as my place, all rads have TRVS, system is Pumped but there are no zone valves or room stat.... The rad in b'room is always on when heatings on.

Actually I have a wireless stat to fit (missus again....).but am stumped as to where to fit it, does anyone have a clue, would it simply interrupt the pump when its called?

Generally I would say for the location of a room stat you are looking at considering how the house is heated and which areas you need warm.

The room stat will cut off the supply from the programmer to the valve (or the pump / boiler if no valve) so heatign will stop on the whole system.
If the stat is located close to an external door then it will be colder than the rest of the house so the heating would be on longer and overheating the rest of the house.
If you have the stat in an already warm room, say (despite the environment) in the kitchen, then the heating will switch off before the rest of the house is warm.
If you chose a frequently used room (say a living room) then the stat would keep that room to the temperature required and, depending on how the house is arranged, might have say the bedrooms a bit cool (which is good), but the kitchen hot.

Overall I would aim for a location that gets midway warm compared to the rest of the house and then it will average the heating for the other areas.
For the operation you describe, Kingeri, then the living room would be the best place, the only other radiator heating you have is in your sons room for one hour, so the stat would be controlling the heat in the living room, if the wood burner is on the n the heating will go off, but the wood burner should also warm the house overall to some extent. for the one hour you could switch up the stat to heat the bedroom if required, the TRV on the living room rad would switch that off if not required. But as you say seems a bit OTT having a stat.

I ran TRV's only with no stat for a few years. The pump ran all the time the programmer was calling for heat. Decided to fit a programmable room stat last year and we saved at least £50 in the first year. TRVs have not been touched but the stat has been set to come on at different temps at different times ie cooler in the day and warmer in the evening. House is much more comfortable and we have saved money. Stat is fitted in lounge.

I feel for you kingeri.
My missus uses the thing like an on/on switch, whacks it up to 36c all the time :banghead:.
If i had my time again i would opt for the placebo.

Reply to Location of boiler thermostat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net