Discuss Location of Emergency Shutoff for Solar Project in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi!!

I'm trying to complete a one line diagram to appease my electric company (AEP Texas). AEP is telling me:
"
1) Please note that the AC Disconnect cannot be connected directly to the meter; it must go thru the service panel. One Line will need to be revised.
2) NOTE: If a side line tap is done the AC Disconnect must be fused; otherwise non-fused.

REQUIREMENT BY AEP THAT THE AC DISCONNECT CANNOT BE INSTALLED DIRECTLY TO THE METER; MUST BE INSTALLED THROUGH THE SERVICE PANEL AND THEN ALL ALTERNATIVE GENERATION INSTALLED BEHIND."

Here, is my one line:
well I cant seem to put an image off of my computer:

(Meter) - (240V single phase 3 pole 200A emergency shutoff) - Sol-ARK 15K inverter (x2) - (everything else)

AEP wants:

(Meter) - (Load Panel) - (Emergency Cutoff) - (Sol-Ark 15K inverter) - (somehow back to the load center ((they DO NOT SPecify))

Sol-Ark website link (reference page # 13):

Is there anything in the code concerning having the Emergency Cutoff switch directly after the meter?

Thank You all, for your wisdom and eventual help in this.

John

Hi!!

I'm trying to complete a one line diagram to appease my electric company (AEP Texas). AEP is telling me:
"
1) Please note that the AC Disconnect cannot be connected directly to the meter; it must go thru the service panel. One Line will need to be revised.
2) NOTE: If a side line tap is done the AC Disconnect must be fused; otherwise non-fused.

REQUIREMENT BY AEP THAT THE AC DISCONNECT CANNOT BE INSTALLED DIRECTLY TO THE METER; MUST BE INSTALLED THROUGH THE SERVICE PANEL AND THEN ALL ALTERNATIVE GENERATION INSTALLED BEHIND."

Here, is my one line:
Screen Shot 09-29-22 at 02.21 PM.JPG
(Meter) - (240V single phase 3 pole 200A emergency shutoff) - Sol-ARK 15K inverter (x2) - (everything else)

AEP wants:

(Meter) - (Load Panel) - (Emergency Cutoff) - (Sol-Ark 15K inverter) - (somehow back to the load center ((they DO NOT SPecify))

Is there anything in the code concerning having the Emergency Cutoff switch directly after the meter?

John

Hi!!

"

Here, is my one line:

AEP wants:

John
Yes you need a 200 amp breaker outside so doing that just install a outdoor 200 amp panel with 20 space. The outside disconnect is required because if your home ever catches fire the fire department can turn off your main breaker to kill all power so they can spray water to put out the fire.

Yes you need a 200 amp breaker outside so doing that just install a outdoor 200 amp panel with 20 space. The outside disconnect is required because if your home ever catches fire the fire department can turn off your main breaker to kill all power so they can spray water to put out the fire.
Hi,

Thanks, so my issue is hat the utility wants: a disconnect to isolate the utility form the solar/battery generation for their protection. (see image below) the difficulty is the most logical place based on the inverter installation manual is to place it directly after the meter with a 200A fused knife type switch (no breakers). However most inverters are fed from the panel and back feed via 30A-40A breakers. Sol-Ark 15K will handle All 200A (240V) thru the inverter and bi-direction-ally feed the meter/and breaker box. A 200 A panel will only add a step in the circuit that is not used, and introduces the ability for power to be introduced back into the utility before the knife cutouot switch.

SO my fog is, It is bad, code-wise to have an emergency disconnect right after the meter and before the house/solar/batteries. This seems like the most appropriate location to isolate the utility for thier safety. Other cutoffs would be necessary to safeguard the firemen from solar generation, backup generators and what=not

Thanks for the reply

John

Attachments

• Screen Shot 09-30-22 at 11.46 AM.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 5

Reply to Location of Emergency Shutoff for Solar Project in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net