Discuss Location of oven isolation switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

stef

-
Reaction score
Good evening all together.

I am planning a new supply for a new cooker. In the 'On Site Guide' it says the oven swtch (with socket
outlet) has to be 2m away from the appliance, that would be right in the corner of the kitchen.
I assume the switch has to be located over the work top for adequate access. But, the actual termination point for the cooker (I use 10mm twin and earth via 40 A B type mcb) can be closer to the appliance, say behind the cooker? If it has to be straight underneath the switch then it would be underneath the work top behind a cup board. Can I spur off a socket for the extractor hood from the same supply?
And where would be the ideal location of the termination point for the hood be? The on site guide is a bit poor in this case. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Hi.

The isolation switch must be within 2m of the cooker, but the connection outlet can be directly behind it or in a cupboard next to it.

No problem with installing a fused spur next to a socket on the ring for the cooker hood. Usually the single socket/connection point goes behind the ducting surround or just above the hood itself / wall mounted units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening all together.

I am planning a new supply for a new cooker. In the 'On Site Guide' it says the oven swtch (with socket
outlet) has to be 2m away from the appliance, that would be right in the corner of the kitchen.
I assume the switch has to be located over the work top for adequate access. But, the actual termination point for the cooker (I use 10mm twin and earth via 40 A B type mcb) can be closer to the appliance, say behind the cooker? If it has to be straight underneath the switch then it would be underneath the work top behind a cup board. Can I spur off a socket for the extractor hood from the same supply?
And where would be the ideal location of the termination point for the hood be? The on site guide is a bit poor in this case. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

The Building Regulations require that accessories should not be mounted so that it is necessary to lean or reach over a cooker to operate them.

The cooker switch should be installed within 2m adjacent to the appliance(s). One cooker switch can be used to control more than one appliance. OSG p160

Cooker outlet can be installed behind cooker. The extract canopy can be spurred of a socket as for position it really depends on the type of canopy but generally a single socket just above your upper units.

It's the Building Regulations that say accessories should be mounted on the building fabric and not on kitchen furniture.

Reply to Location of oven isolation switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net