Discuss Loft conversion - RCD main switch query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

Unsure where to post this so if this is in wrong section I apologise!
I have been asked to wire a family members loft conversion (one bedroom and en-suite) and I am planning to run a 16mm t&e to a new 5 way DB (lights, ring main and electric 10KW shower) in the loft and needed to know if using a RCD as a main switch is allowed and to 17th edition?

Thanks

Electrically speaking I don't see a problem but it can be very inconvenient for the tenant if the entire DB goes off when there's an IR fault on just one of the circuits.

You do know that the regs apply the same to all installations and don't alter according to wether it's industrial, commercial or domestic.

Hi all

Unsure where to post this so if this is in wrong section I apologise!
I have been asked to wire a family members loft conversion (one bedroom and en-suite) and I am planning to run a 16mm t&e to a new 5 way DB (lights, ring main and electric 10KW shower) in the loft and needed to know if using a RCD as a main switch is allowed and to 17th edition?

Thanks

Why not just extend the existing top floor lighting and socket circuits? then all you'll need to do is run a feed up there for the shower.
There is really no need in a domestic installation to be running 16mm submains just to power a loft conversion, you could probably run 3 average houses on that without it even getting warm!

Absolute madness!! Running a 16mm sub-main and installing a separate 5 way CU for a 'Single'' bedroom with ensuite, when literary everything is there within reach to supply this additional bedroom, with the exception of the shower....

Reply to Loft conversion - RCD main switch query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net