Discuss loft extension in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

ONIT

Evening to you all,,

Just like to run this one by you,, power to loft-- new tails from meter to d/p isolater ,10mm t-e from d/p switch to new c.u in loft tails for the c.u, off new cu there are 1-ring ciruit,1-light ciruit and 1-shower circuit.
So would you say this is a sand alone installation from the house i,e for testing and part- p cert

cheers

hi onit, im not sure what you mean about stand alone system etc, it will still come under part p regardless i think?. i see what you saying about running a new board upstairs, however im unsure about this really, what total load can this 10mm carry, with insulation etc? i personally would leave consumer units downstairs and take any necesary new cables up from the existing board or if not big enough, then upgrade it or put a seperate board in?

rich

Hi rich,

Stand alone, i mean i am just putting a cert on the new cu for loft not the whole house.Also i thougth its easyer to run one cable rather than 4/5 cables and every thing is self contained in loft:)

6mm cable for shower:rolleyes:

6mm cable for shower:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah see what ya saying, but say you put your 10mm on a 63a supply then youve got a ring main at 32a and a shower which is more than likely gonna be better suited with a 10mm (poss pulling 40+ amps?) then a nice triple halagon spot light and a few downlights in the bathroom? just seems like its overcompicating things really, id still go for having all the c/units in one spot.

rich

Hi rich,
just to compare how would you paly it ,all off the same c/u or have a new c/u with its own new tails
if it came of old c/u if have to up grade to bigger board plus bigger tails
onit:)

if the existing consumer had the spare ways and the rcd protection etc then id come off that, or fit a complete new boards thats big enough for all new circuits and existing. are you looking at this from a self employed perspective or are you employed?

rich

Hi rich,

Selfempolyed perspective,, thats 4 extra ciruits for loft shower,ring,lights,smoke.. id be looking at 14way c/u with 17th about £500?????
hence the reason to install new 6way on rccbo with new 16mm tails??????

onit

is the £500 your estimate for the works? its all about the customer then really, if your quite busy and wanna be in and out then you'd prob be better doing a seperate board.
id go for swapping for one nice new board, you can make it sound quite appealing to the customer, tell them that you'd be making sure that all there property is protected to the very latest new standards..
suppose in fairness as well (unless existing circuits have faults on them!!) you could propably put another 4 hours on the job inc test, if you went for new board for the lot.
allways a dilemma init really, i just personally like to see the one board so thats what id try n go for all the time, plus it depends on the customer aswell.

rich

wtf!! lol! does it come with gold plated mcb's! it sounds like you need to be having a word with your wholesaler, should be below a ton withgood discounts aranged. who's the wholesaler? where are you based?

Hi mate , your best bet IMO is to put your own small sub board next to the main board, a small 4 way board with 4 rcbo,s will cost you know more than £80 , this way you can test your own work with out having to replace the old board and test the whole house if you want to keep the cost down..( if there happy to pay , full cu swap)
Taking a 10mm up to run a sub board with shower , ring , lights and smokes on it is a definite no no , if i,m reading your post right ?

HTH

Ste:)

ps try NoLinkingToThis - Where the Trade Buys for your boards

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a protek consumer unit not "proteus" and no i dont shop at CEF way too expensive for a sole trader...........

and also 10way 17th ed boards wylex are £75 + vat including all mcbs

i think paul m was reffering to the price the original poster had been quoted, theres another thread on this site about cef been a bit greedy! lol

Morining all;;

Had alook at job yesterday,couldnt bring all the new ciruits back down through house for to new sub board,, no space on main board and they wanted a separate board for loft.

So iam going for new sub board in loft, new supply 16mm tails from in comer to fues d/p isolation switch, then taking 16mm t-e plus 10mm cpc to feed board in loft then every local in loft from neew board.

hi onit,

sizing of your cables, isolation etc, as you know is spot on, 16mm t & e! its llike wrestling with an elephant weener! lol, dont mean to be rude, but if you can get a whopper like that through with a 10mm earth strapped to it then how come you cant get say a 10mm t&e, 2x2.5, 1x1.5, 1x1.0, bet theres not a lot in it in difference in size etc.
still if customer wants board up there then the customer is always right.

Alrirgth sarkyork,,

Swings and roundabouts i guss,, take two cables up or bring five cables down but like you said customer paying so they gets want if thats ok with us, by the way 16mm t-e is a good work out.

Reply to loft extension in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net