Discuss Loft light question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

billathome65

-
DIY
Reaction score
Just finished a small conversion in the loft and been running an extension lead up to a light.

I'm looking to put a switched light in there and just want to check my thinking is right.

I put a light in the loft running a new wire down to the bedroom switch that is currently a single switch. I am looking to have a double switch in the bedroom
Double-Light-Switch.jpg

double-gang-two-way-light-switch.png

so assume the second switch I wire red top com and black as the switched to bottom L1 then jumper the com on 1st live com to 2nd com?

If that thinking is right then the live and switched go to rose of the light with blue and brown on light connected accordingly?

The question if the information I have given is right is do I run a neutral and earth wire from the existing bedroom ceiling rose to the new light to provide the neutral live connection or will it work without doing that?

I'm not to bad with electrics but adding a new light to an existing switch as described ( not a two way ) has me thinking.

Any thoughts or a diagram maybe?

Cheers

L and N from bedroom rose to loft light. switch wire down to 2nd switch in bedroom. bridge the commons from sw 1 to sw 2, as you describe. then in the light you'll have 3 plate. perm. L and N with the switch return and N to the actual light. (omitted earths for clarity).

Cheers

So only one wire down from the live on light to the light switch i'm assuming your saying? that wire going to L1 on the second switch connection?

can you clarify what you mean here

then in the light you'll have 3 plate. perm. L and N( I get that bit )

What do you mean here ( with the switch return and N to the actual light.)

Do you mean

Cheers

Depends where and how your house lighting is wired, have they taken a feed L&N to the switch or is it wired the 3plate ceiling rose style?

try this. poor graphics, but.

try again:

pete, can you view the pic. i can't. just the file ID.

aha. one has to download then view the download. bloody computers. i did thast sketch in 2 minutes. on the computer it would have taken all day.

Thanks Telectrix The drawing is clear Proof is in my explanation:):):)

I bridge coms, take the bridged com, com 2 lets call, it red wire to loft ceiling rose.
Then second wire in my case will be the black wire to the L1 on second switch other end to the rose with red tape. Switched live

which feeds the live wire to the light. As it's not a two way gang I'm running do I still need to run a L and N from bedroom rose as previously stated or do I just need to run a neutral wire. Just want to ensure I understand it right. If I still need to run a live from the rose as well as the stuff you explained can you explain why? Cheers

Thanks Telectrix The drawing is clear Proof is in my explanation:):):)

I bridge coms, take the bridged com, com 2 lets call, it red wire to loft ceiling rose.
Then second wire in my case will be the black wire to the L1 on second switch other end to the rose with red tape. Switched live

which feeds the live wire to the light. As it's not a two way gang I'm running do I still need to run a L and N from bedroom rose as previously stated or do I just need to run a neutral wire. Just want to ensure I understand it right. If I still need to run a live from the rose as well as the stuff you explained can you explain why? Cheers
Get a Sparky involved Mate for Gods sake

Don,t need to Pete I just got a bit confussed for a moment but got my head round it now after revisiting the diagram I had a drrrrrrrrr moment lol.

Murdoch a builder I know did a small conversion I helped with. Done floor boards straped joists plus plaster boarded and window. Just to be used as a play area for grand kids and storage it's railed off etc. I can get way with it on an extention but want a dedicated light.

Cheers

Last edited:
If you have a light switch downstairs to control a loft light then its a better than evens chance that you'll forget to switch it off.
If you musy do it like that then you should have a neon on the switch so you can see that its on.

IMO, better to just have the switch at the top of the ladder, then you can switch it on and off as you enter, just like any other room.

If you have a light switch downstairs to control a loft light then its a better than evens chance that you'll forget to switch it off.
If you musy do it like that then you should have a neon on the switch so you can see that its on.

IMO, better to just have the switch at the top of the ladder, then you can switch it on and off as you enter, just like any other room.

Cheers

That's something to think about, I've not thoroughly decided what way to do it so thanks.

Bill

Reply to Loft light question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net