Discuss Loft lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Kenneth92

DIY
Reaction score
found a double socket in my loft which I want to use for lighting up there.
can I use 1.5mm twin and earth connected between the socket and a 3amp fuse switch to power the lights??
TIA x

The socket is maybe up there for a tv amp at sometime.
you would be better using flex than t&e.
An old table lamp is perfect, or an inspection lamp.

The socket is maybe up there for a tv amp at sometime.
you would be better using flex than t&e.
An old table lamp is perfect, or an inspection lamp.
Disagree, LS but dislike throwing the red cross about, surely a RS lamp in a proper holder is far better than an old table lamp, much safer and will last longer, better still install some permanent Attic lights, open for discussion.

I see your point, Pete, but as the op is diy, I’m not sure of their abilities. So better plugging in a proprietary designed and built luminaire than building one themselves.
maybe not an old table lamp then.

found a double socket in my loft which I want to use for lighting up there.
can I use 1.5mm twin and earth connected between the socket and a 3amp fuse switch to power the lights??
TIA x

Welcome to the forum mate.
It depends on how the socket is wired. It may be a spur from the upstairs ring main. Then it's best to replace the socket with a fused spur and wire the lights off that.
Of course, making sure the power is switched off first.
Just my opinion...

and derate the cable by 60% to allow for the itchy-poo monkeys with their "do not use the attic" notices. where else can you grow your weed unnoticed?

Just to add, check the socket is indeed off a socket circuit before you start. I've found a fair few sockets in lofts that are connected to the upstairs lighting circuit - because they are "only going to power the TV amp" - some didn't even have the earth connected.

Reply to Loft lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock