Discuss Loft Sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wroenaldinho

Hi All

I'm looking to install 2 double sockets in loft to power a cctv system, plug in light (for when im up there...rare) and a network switch.

What's the correct way to install these double sockets?

I've already found the 2.5mm cable thats feeding the upstairs sockets, can i cut this and wire into a junction box then wire from that to new sockets or is there another way to do this?

Thanks

Is it possible to cut the cable and take one end to your first new socket and the other end to your last new socket, then Lin some more cable between the sockets to maintain the ring?

cut cable under upstairs floor. run 2 legs up to loft ( inside airing cupboard is favorite) to maintain the ring. install 2 maintenance free junction boxes to attach each new leg to existing cut ends of the cable you have cut. carry out safe isolation at all times.

Thanks guys. I can't really cut from under upstairs floor as its all decorated carpeted etc. I was hoping i could cut the cable in the loft in half and wire it in a junction box to keep the loop then from that junction box rub another cable to a double socket. The problem was then adding another socket.

I've not come across this maintenance free box before, i just bought a standard 30w junction box with 4 way as i thought this would do it but was unsure about a fused spur etc

Thanks again

but do you have the upstairs socket cables in the loft, as usually, they don't go up there. if you have, then you are allowed 1 socket outlet as an unfused spur from the ring, a standard screw terminal junction box is acceptable if it's accessible, which it would be if in a loft and not boarded over.

It looks as if they're going into the bedroom walls. I'll cut it and see. I can always link it back up i guess.

normally the ring cables for the upstairs sockets will come up from the floor to the sockets. your problem is usually getting from there upto the loft. post yourlocation. one of us might be close.

It is critical that you are cutting into (when the power to the house is fully OFF) the correct circuit.
As Tel says the socket circuits rarely reach up to the loft, unless there are sockets already installed there.

Wiring into a lighting circuit would not be a good idea at all.

The addition of more than one socket to a ring spur would require you to fuse down the supply to those sockets so that the cable cannot be overloaded.
It would also be important to know if it was a ring circuit or a radial circuit.

The below two options are possible, but check your circuit first.
Ring with spurs.jpg

another fine diagram from the forum's picasso. :rolleyes:

another fine diagram from the forum's picasso. :rolleyes:

I'm going to be an arse and say "But the cable colours might be the old ones, for the existing cables... " :p

Great drawing. Is in fact the correct colours. House is just 10 years old. Cut the cable as it's definitely not lighting and it is power to the upstairs bedroom sockets. Ive connected both sides to a regular 30amp junction box at moment just to link back up and restore power. Whats the best action to take now. Maintenance free box and fused spur or something else

Thanks again

how many sockets do you want in the loft. if it's just 1 single or 1 double, you can run a single cable (2.5mm) unfused up to the loft. connect into your JB so you will have 3 cables in it.don't forget to buy a bit of earth sleeve.

then you have to either:

1. maintain the ring by running 2 cables into the loft, or

2. fit a fused connection unit (FCU) as per richard's 2nd diagram. the FCU limits the current in the single cable to the loft to 13A. this FCU would normally be fitted adjacent to a socket outlet, from which you'd take the supply. saves cutting a cable and having a junction box.

Why not just wire the two cables you've cut (assuming they're in the loft already? ) into a socket (single or double) and just plug in a 4-way lead?? Would be fine if you're just running a power supply for cameras and DVR....

Why not just wire the two cables you've cut (assuming they're in the loft already? ) into a socket (single or double) and just plug in a 4-way lead?? Would be fine if you're just running a power supply for cameras and DVR....

Expanding on this, you would do the first part "Why not just wire the two cables you've cut (assuming they're in the loft already? ) into a socket (single or double)" and then use your 2.5mm cable to spur to your second socket.
It sounds like you and a ring main in the attic. Is this correct?

I s'pose from a diy point of view, the fewer connections done diy stylee (particularly in a ring main) the better :)

Maybe I've missed something, but do we know whether the existing socket circuit is a ring or not?

What's the circuit breaker rating of the relevant socket circuit?

And how big is the cable?

I think the cable i cut is linked to a bedroom socket which then feeds sockets on the wall to a tv point. The old owner must have put them in.

From the junction box i have now run a seperate cable to a new double socket and fastened it to the beam to get my cctv up and running but i still need another socket which i can do this week. Whats the best way to go around this now?

The circuit breaker upstairs sockets kills all power to them.

Thanks

Reply to Loft Sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net