Discuss Log Cabin Electrics in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Noddy53

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, after some advise.
I have had a log cabin installed at the end of my garden and I wish to run power to it, at this moment in time I am not in a position to work out cable lengths and voltage drop more about regulations.
So my intention is as follows.
I have a currently un-used 32 amp presentation on 10mm2 T&E from an old shower, so already connected to the house CU on a 32 amp MCB and RCD protected, I was going to present this out through the wall to the outside in to an IP65 junction box, from there I was going to run approx. 15 meters of 10mm2 SWA to an IP65 Junction box on the outside of the log cabin, then from this junction box a 10mm2 T&E tail through the wall into a Axiom Garage CU, then a radial circuit with fused spur for a light fitting.
So my understanding is that installing a CU in the log cabin and a new radial circuit would be notifiable under Part P but would getting the power to the log cabin as I will be utilising a redundant circuit that is already wired into the house CU so could this be seen as an extension of an existing circuit?
Also is it also permissible to run the radial circuit in the log cabin but leave the connection of the radial and the feed from the house to be connected and tested by an electrician to obtain certification?
Many thanks in advance

Why the junction box on the cabin wall why not run the SWA straight into the log cabin?
As far as I know the work would be notifiable but wait for one of the UK members to confirm this.
I'd suggest you find a sparky first to confirm your circuit design and discuss with him what parts of the install you can do yourself to try keep the costs down.

Why the FCU for the lighting circuit fed from the garage CU?

Reply to Log Cabin Electrics in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net