• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss London guy wants an off-grid solar installation in southern Spain in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, and appreciate first posts can sometimes be expected in a different section of some forums. Apologies if I'm breaking protocol.

I'm building a house in an urbanisation near Benahavis, Malaga, and I'm at the stage where I have an onsite generator for some local tradies. Most of the house wiring is done (99% I believe, we should just need access to a fuse box which would connect to the local utility supplier, Endesa), and I have had a few different people to do different bits of the house.

I've been tracking the "sun tax" issue in Spain for awhile, and have seen yesterday that the head of the government was just replaced, which may mean a repeal of this tax. In any case, the timing may either be very lucky, or, I just say screw it, and go ahead regardless.

I'm after someone who can supply and fit a standalone off-grid system for a 4 bed house. Happy to go through whatever design q&a.

Please feel free to give me a shout on my email ([email protected]).

Thanks,
Rob

You might want to remove your email address as this is a public forum. People will either post a message or pm you.

I can guess, planes fly over Alicante area photographing villas for any alterations, e.g. a drive wide enough for 2 cars generates an increase in tax..... honestly.... they obviously need the money...
Would be a bit hard to hide a solar panel

Its Spain, I wouldn't even buy a house there, they don't like non Spaniards so life will be made very hard.
After Brexit it will be 4 times worse, and your house will either become worthless or get confiscated/seized by the state.
That would be commercial suicide, there economy is very dependant on British ex pats and tourism. I have villa there, its not that bad. If you want some serious abuse, try France... lol

I was wondering how many batteries are needed for the a/c in summer. Lighting is a doddle now, TV takes nothing. You can cook using bottled gas, ditto water heating. The two things that make it hard are: 1. Swimming pool pump and a/c units.
I suppose if you switch the pool pump off before sun down - that could work but how to get through the night without a/c eeekk

guy i work with is spanish and says it isnt even that warm where he hails from in spain, where the rain falls mainly on the plain, in spain

Hi Guys,
The "sun tax" is a short description for a pretty weird situation. I don't fully understand it myself, but its to do with the government shielding power companies; I've read things along the lines of kickbacks from the companies to politicians, some of whom sit on boards, and it seems to me to be a clear conflict of interest.
In addition to this, there are loads of links from google about how there is no feed in tariff, and people who are connected and generate a credit STILL have to pay the electricity company for the full bill, despite sending back during peak sun times enough to totally reduce the bill to zero.

Regarding the funny comments about why I want to be off-grid in more ways that one... it would be a little silly for me to post my full name / details if there was anything untoward.

Power in Spain is among the most expensive in Europe; I just sold a flat here in London, and if I can get a reasonable return on the capital (I look at cost reduction in the same way as revenue), then why not? On top of that, power prices rarely ever go down. It might also get me a better price in the future when I want to on-sell.

The question of using a local supplier is a good one. As I mentioned, there is a "sun tax"; the Spanish economy went from being a leader in solar, to losing ground heavily when the new taxes were introduced. A lot of people simply moved into other things because customers dried up. There aren't that many people doing solar there, and if there are, I find their prices to be a bit ridiculous.

As I say, if someone can provide a turn-key solution, please do drop me an email.

Thanks,
Rob

Do you think buying a property in a Spain is likely to give a positive financial return

Reply to London guy wants an off-grid solar installation in southern Spain in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock