Discuss London pricing thoughts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

1st time posting here and id like to ask about pricing to get a general feel of where I fit in the domestic market. I originally come from a high end domestic background but have been doing mainly office and shopfititng for the last 8+ years. recently I have been picking up more high end domestic in central London areas - properties starting values from 2 million up to 35 million +

I am outlining my rough point prices I charge depending on the job, id really appreciate your thoughts on my prices and maybe what you charge for similar in London.

many thanks

Socket (faceplate not included) £70 - £85
kitchen appliance isolation and outlet £120 - £140
Smoke / heat including head £120 - £140
data cable run inc cable £60
Coax run including cable £60
pendant install excluding light £90
wall light install excluding light £90
Downlight install excluding light £70
32amp kitchen supply including isolation and outlet £220
radial for boiler / cctv / alarm etc with spur £120

Consumer units I usually price materials and add 20% then put labour at £360 per day for as long as I think it will take

Day rate £360 + parking and CC

Condition reports £180 for first 6 circuits and then £25 per circuit after this plus parking and CC

like most people I currently have more work than I can handle. I do not advertise and almost all of my quotes are accepted without batting an eyelid so I'm wondering if were too cheap or are these just the correct prices

all prices are plus VAT

Thank you for taking the time to read

I charge around what you do, but work within 5-10 miles of my house in Sussex, and can usually park right outside with no charges or hassle.

Central London has to be >£500 a day surely to make it worth the hassle. I’m usually leaving my house at 8 and home before 4.

did my training in SW london (mainly fulham , chelsea , battersea , wimbledon , wandsworth area) so have a good idea what they used to charge us out at , rates started at £95 per hour

i currently look to get £80 per hour on site in Surrey , I am flexible to a point if its a really easy job like changing some down lights i might drop to £60-65 per hour.

i honestly don't see the point in going through all the training we do , scam fees , insurance fees etc etc if we can't make a decent living. 360£ per day in London is far too cheap unless its all cash in hand and walking distance from your front door

Last edited:
London Rates

Interesting. The only service they provide at a lower rate than electrical work is disposal of waste. If anything highlights idiocy among electricians, when it comes to undervaluing their trade, then this is surely it.

Edit: Waste disposal isn't cheaper. What I read as an hourly rate is actually the disposal charge per appliance. It is amazing to think that electricians are the most highly trained trade, yet as a group display a complete ignorance of basic business acumen.

It had always made me chuckle that Pimilico charge more to unblock a toilet than to change a fuse board

That said I would won't more money to unblock a rancid turn blocked bog , £500 per hour and I might consider shoving my arm elbow deep in someone elses waste 💩🤢🤮💩

Interesting. The only service they provide at a lower rate than electrical work is disposal of waste. If anything highlights idiocy among electricians, when it comes to undervaluing their trade, then this is surely it.

Edit: Waste disposal isn't cheaper. What I read as an hourly rate is actually the disposal charge per appliance. It is amazing to think that electricians are the most highly trained trade, yet as a group display a complete ignorance of basic business acumen.
In effect PP are charging £800 a day for an electrician, including VAT. No mention is made of qualifications, industry accreditation or whether they will do certificates. Plumber is £1,008. Assuming a 7 hour worked day.

Reply to London pricing thoughts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock