Discuss Long thin SDS bits in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I’m looking to buy some long thin SDS Bits. One of the lads from work has one. It’s an odd size 6.5mm in diameter but it’s almost a meter long. Anyone any idea where I could buy one as he said he can’t remember where he purchased it from. As I don’t like the idea if using a 20/25mm bit for holes. Rather a long smaller bit. Then if it’s okay use a larger drill bit.

Any good builders merchant or electrical wholesaler should have them.
Aldi and Lidl used to have them from time to time . Ok for infrequent use.

I got a 3 pack from Lidl a while ago but thinnest was 12mm, at 1m long. Starting to bow quite a bit now.
Look around other wholesalers, not just electrical.
Yes, they do the job too. Toolstation have them in , but as you say , they start at 12mm too. They do a 260mm @ 6.5 if that is any good to you RD.

If drilling a metre long hole you should start with shorter drill bits and work up to the metre one. Otherwise the long drill bit will be wobbling around all over the place and get bent very quickly.

A few weeks ago I saw someone start a hole using a brand new 1m drill bit and promptly snap it due to the excessive length wobbling around.

Agreed, I always use pilot holes, generally 16mm is OK to use as a starter and then go to 25mm, but would also depend on the material being drilled through.

Masonary drills shouldn't need a pilot hole, they are designed to cut the full width of the drill bit.

Standard HSS Metal drills need piloting as the cutting edges do not extend all the way to the centre of the drill bit. They have a flat portion in the middle which doesn't cut. (unless you use split-point drills)

Yes, but it's much faster to run a pilot 16mm through and then jump to 25mm as it puts much less strain on the drill and the battery, especially on the longer holes.

It's something I was taught to do by my father and in both firms I served my apprenticeship and generally what I see most sparks do.

6mm x 460mm is the longest I can find
Mine is about the same (thought it was advertised as 450mm when I bought it).
Haven't needed a longer one as have 8mm at 600mm and 10mm at 1000 which seem to cover most eventualities, but sure to be one out there somewhere!

Reply to Long thin SDS bits in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net