Discuss Looking for 10mm Green/Yellow,Blue,Brown in metre lengths. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hussy

Hi everyone, I nipped over from the Plumbing forum where I usually play to ask if any of you can offer any assistance. I am in need of 10mm2 Conduit cable wire in the following colours, Green/Yellow, Blue and Brown. I checked Screwfix and EL Electrics in my local area and did some searching online - but most places sell by the 100m reel. I only need x6 meters length of each. I found Trading Depot, who stock the 10mm Green/Yellow, but dont have the other colours.
I am not using this for an electrical isnatllation but for an art project. I dont know of any electricians who I could ask. If anyone knows anywhere I could by the cable by the metre length and/or has some they could sell etc. to me, please do get in touch. thankyou all very much.
hussy

i think you will struggle with the brown and blue. the green/yellow is sold by the meter as it is used for earrthing and bonding in short lengths, but the others are generaslly only used on industrial installs. your best bet would be if one of the industrial sparks on here might be able to snaff you a couple of offcuts from a job.

I may have 10mm brown, but, it will be tri rated not 6491.
Tri rated is finely stranded think the inner of a flex, where as 6491 is the conduit type wire, and what would be usual for fixed wiring installs and would probably match your G/Y bought off the shelf.
I may be going to my stores later I'll try to remember to look, but I can't promise.
Also if you are relying on the inner copper strands being like the G/Y 6491 then the tri will be different so may not be any use?

I have had 10mm Brown, Blue and Green/Yellow from TLC by the meter. If you go to the TLC direct website and click on Sales or Browse, then click on cable, then click on 6491X - 6.0mm to 16.0mm under the singles option. If you scroll down to the 10mm section, you just enter the number of meters you want. The Green/Yellow 10mm is listed at the top of the page.
Hope this helps
Stitch

thankyou all for your replies. The Tri-rated will not do as the piece of work I am making is to simulate an actual industrial wiring route, at the ends crocidile clips will be added, and then the piece will be live, though very low voltage of 12V. The 10mm2 single core cables are strong enough to hold the clips.
I have been making working before using plumbing designs, but now I am into electrical designs as well.
I have had a look on the TLC direct website, and yes I can get all the lengths I need there, so thankyou so much for the direction, Stitch.
NetblindPaul, if you come across any lengths of same, would be great if you could post them, and I will pay.

Hi Pat Tester, I am in Hackney Wick, London. I am not sure where CM22 is. I am not from England originally but from Northern Ireland. I am here doing a course in art college. I need x6 metres of each 100mm2 single core 6491. If you have Paypal, I could pay you for postage etc. Does that work? If you are in London, I can come to collect. Thankyou for your help. I will post images of work when it is exhibited next week at college show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am basing the work on the building where my live-in studio is. That sounds very posh but it really is not, infact if Environmental Health ever learned of these buildings I am sure the whole site would be closed down. The building is in chaos with electrical wiring and plumbing all over the place. It used to be a beautiful factory but now the landlord has sort off loosely converted it to art studios and live/work spaces. I am not a tradesperson, but the maze of wiring and plumbing is kinda beautiful and lethal.

Hi hussy sounds an interesting place to live.

I also have all three, I'm assuming a piece of 10mm2 twin and earth with the outer grey sheath stripped off would yield you the brown and blue pieces you need ?

I would like to see the finished article,sonds like that place could do with an inspection if you say the wiring looks lethal,good luck with your project.

Yes it would reveal the blue and brown, but the earth would be unsheathed. Do you have the single core sheathed Green/Yellow?

I will post up images of the exhibition when it is installed next week. Forums are brilliant for my research. I used the plumbing one many times to make works and get help and ideas there. But since I have been in this building I am keen on electrical designs.
Glad you like the idea of using trade materials to make art works, it has been done many times and it is way ( well slightly) cheaper than using materials from an art shop these days. Will upload images asap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully one-day I will be able to employ a team of tradesmen and build an entire installation throughout the Turbine Hall of the Tate Gallery. Forget using art techncians, use the pros.

The building is ok as long as you dont touch anything!

Reply to Looking for 10mm Green/Yellow,Blue,Brown in metre lengths. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net