Discuss Looking for a book to see if i can easily get my head around it all in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jonboy79

I've been thinking about becoming a electrician for a while now. It will be a career change at 35, rather then going to college straight away i want to see if i can get my head around it all.

My thoughts are to do some work experience for free, but before i do i'm wanting a book to read with the sort of questions and answers around any tests, i.e 17th edition, and anything that will gain some knowledge before i do any work experience. The 17th edition seems to be about £70, but flicking through Amazon there are a few other test type books. Does anyone recommend one to read over before i take the jump.

I know some of you guys may say i'm to old for this but i don't believe so. I have my whole life ahead of me until i retire.

Regards jon

Some fantastic books by an Electrical Genius His surname is Cockburn I think, can't remember is first name though.

Find a copy of this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-...e=UTF8&qid=1408993638&sr=8-6&keywords=scaddan

It will give you both a clearer insight and also be of use if you start training. Good luck to you! Only please, take the proper long route - short courses are just a scam. There's also the trainees section on here which is geared to guys like yourself at all stages of the process.

Cheers for that, just ordered it. Yeah i've heard about those short term courses. I heard this story about a contractor team fitting out a new care home, they missed something out or didnt check the instulation and the whole place burnt down, many died. I wouldnt want my name on that job.

Cheers for that, just ordered it. Yeah i've heard about those short term courses. I heard this story about a contractor team fitting out a new care home, they missed something out or didnt check the instulation and the whole place burnt down, many died. I wouldnt want my name on that job.

I think you and me will get along just fine. :)

Also I need to come clean, my recommendation about cockburn was a joke known among regular members, I would hate for you to take it seriously and buy it.
I only felt guilty when I saw the thanks you gave me, I actually thought some of the regulars would notice it and put you straight!!

Also I need to come clean, my recommendation about cockburn was a joke known among regular members, I would hate for you to take it seriously and buy it.
I only felt guilty when I saw the thanks you gave me, I actually thought some of the regulars would notice it and put you straight!!

I did think about it, but then figured it would be a good first initiative test to actually read the reviews!!

at 35 you are not too old but im my opinion about right.
too often those young starters get the idea that they are bullet proof and safety is a joke to them.
paying attention is a very cheap way to proper learning and can keep you from getting fried
your in with a good group on this forum site.
you may get a bit or ribbing now and then but that normal.
welcome to the forums

Good luck jonboy,and you are NEVER too old for owt'...Me mum did her english l&l degree,then a masters (distinction),at 65. I have a pal who re-trained as a barrister in his mid fifties...the only constant in all these matters,is the route that needs to be followed to achieve success AFTER the initial tuition. The suggestion of messr Scaddan as an author,is an excellent one. A small investment in 2 or 3 books of that standard,will give you a clue as to whether or not the job is for you. Do you bite hard on a challenge? Can you mix messy,hard graft with maths and physics? If it looks like your cup-of-tea,then go for it. :stooge_curly:

Maybe it would be good too let us know what part of the country you are? See if anyone on here needs a hand for a few days and you can see what it's about...

Reply to Looking for a book to see if i can easily get my head around it all in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock