Discuss Looking for advice on a career as an electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Henry83

Hi, I'm 29 and live in Manchester. I have reached a point where I am not enjoying my current career in the hospitality industry and sincerely believe that a career as an electrician would give me a rewarding and challenging new career. I realise I am slightly older than your average apprentice/student but would work my arse off to achieve this goal, so would greatly appreciate any serious advice on courses and apprenticeships, or anything that you think may be of use to me. Thanks in advance.

hi and welcome on board, i went back to tech as was sick of executing cows,sheep and pigs and its been along haul of not having the right tools and not getting the experiences needed for this trade, but it does get better. but does take time.

keep your job or find a new one that will allow you do this training and if you can get working with a spark even better... but does cost lot of ££££££££££££ and dedication as you starting later than never. you'l see..

or you could do 5 week course

Thanks. Are 5 week courses credible within the industry though? And if so what can/can't you work on with them It seems I will have to do training at the same time as working at the moment. If I work for a sparky while training what is the pay like? Thanks again

My advice would be work towards a nvq 3. For sure.
Only way to really call your self a spark and get your jib card to confirm this!!

As for the money, I won't lie.... It can be crap.
But the outcome will be a lot better :)

Most colleges etc will want a nvq 2 before you enrolled.
I'd suggest speaking to some local companies and your local training provider and see if you could do a full apprenticeship.
The best place to see what quals you need for differant levels is the JIB site.
Hope this helps

You could always try speaking to JTL, they are a decent training provider that work with the colleges.. they will fill you in straight.

My advice, pursue a career as a commercial airline pilot, it is quicker, cheaper, and the wages are much better. Seriously!

Cheers..................Howard.

Hi, I'm was in the same boat as you a year ago, I was 26 then and working in security, it was nice getting to read lots of books and watch DVDs whilst getting paid but I did feel like I was waiting to die! and with a family on the way the hours and wages weren't conducive with the life I wanted/still want for us.
I did a lot of research and found you can do these 4 or 5 week courses but no one will respect you for it and you won't actually know what your doing at the end of it, if you had an endless amount of money to spend it would be a s*** hot introduction, you typically get your 17th edition, 2392 (introduction to inspection and testing) and some sort of part p qualification
what you need really (IMO) is you City and Guilds 2330, level 2 and 3 (will take you 2 years part time and cost around £1600 pa) your NVQ level 3 (should take a year but could be less, you will need a work placement or job for this) 17th edition certificate (3 or 4 days if you do a course, approx £450) and an inspection and testing certificate (was 2391, now something else!) + books and basic tools. That will get you JIB registered as a fully qualified spark and JIB is what matters nowadays it seems.
you can do some of these concurrently and save a bit of time but realistically your looking at 3 years.
I'm a year in with my C&G 2330 level 2 and 17th edition done so far, just waiting for level 3 course to start. I love it but its hard going, next course will cost me £235 a month for 6 months and when I do start work I won't earn a good wage for a while, so my advice would be, do it! but only if your really committed!
Best of luck
Sam

Reply to Looking for advice on a career as an electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock